Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400s --> TE610

Anyone done this? I'm giving it serious consideration. My DRZ is OK off road, not great. Suspension has been improved with the Racetech stuff. I can pretty much ride it wherever I like, but obviously is no woods bike unless done slow. For street my DRZ's a bit wound up at 70 mph which is minimal safe speed for some roads. I've been eying a KTM525 which should be a great dirt bike and a 6th gear for riding out but a maintenance whore. Recently rode a friend's KTM 625SXC. Great bike - can pile on the crap if needed, plenty of power, outstanding suspension, weight also felt similar to the DRZ, better on road - but the VIBES:censored: Why they never fixed that I dunno. No 6th either why?. :applause:

If the 610 TE is truly a better bike off road and on than the DRZ and comfy (other than seat) I'm interested! Anything I should know?

I'm doing it. The gentleman picked up the DRZ last weekend and I'm picking up the 610 next weekend.

Wow! Look at my post count!! No way no how but it's funny!!!

yah-

that is a lot of posts, eh?

What pushed you over the edge from the drz to the te610?

Wow! Look at my post count!! No way no how but it's funny!!!

It's a bug in the forum software I believe. More and more people get that post count # then periodically someone makes it right.

It's a bug in the forum software I believe. More and more people get that post count # then periodically someone makes it right.

coffee is jealous:p

Read the links posted above. It will give you more insight on the bike. I'm a big guy at 6'1" and 240 lbs. and just wanted something that was a little more proportional to my size. Never felt comfortable on the slab with the DRZ but I realize I also come off a BMW GS1150 Adventure for my true street bike.

I've read all the links-

just was curious what pushed you over the edge?

Right now the concern is with some occasional single track. If it handles as well as the drz (not great but competent) Good! And the street looks much better..

No ride or situation really pushed you to it?

No ride or situation really pushed you to it?

Not really. I think both are very capable machines and IMHO the best in their size/class for Dual Sport machines.

And the street looks much better..

This is really my big reason for the move although I would say the 610 just oozes something that gets your heart going a little faster. My wife finally understands that you can't always lay out on paper why one bike is better than the other. It's what gets your blood racing. That's what you're going to ride the most.

MoneyPit-

Haha! wasn't too concerned about the appearance on the street, but the performance! With the sixth gear and the extra 10-15 HP - should be a decent difference. I've been in contact with Mark at Bigdogadventures.com. He's also a DRZ400 convert. He indicated he could take the bike thru the same trails he took his DRZ400 thru in his 2002 Utah tour. I'm feeling pretty confident about this purchase at this point, especially knowing that next year will be fuel injected.

And the street looks much better..

Sorry I wasn't clear. I took this to mean street "performance" and not "looks". That was my take also. I just went on to explain that there is a certain emotional aspect to buying a bike and not strictly logical. Otherwise, we wouldn't have the multitude of choices we have!

Get the bike. You want it!!

If anyone tries to tell you they are making a logical choice on a bike is a fool. Bikes are 99.5% emotion and .5% logic. The logic part is how to convince your wife and bank manager!

Sorry I wasn't clear. I took this to mean street "performance" and not "looks". That was my take also. I just went on to explain that there is a certain emotional aspect to buying a bike and not strictly logical. Otherwise, we wouldn't have the multitude of choices we have!

Get the bike. You want it!!

Well it is Italian too and you can always put that red/white green plastic on it.

I found the same thing about the KTM625, the vibration was a deal killer for sure. I might trade my DR650 for a 610 next year, or sooner if I can find a good deal!

MoneyPit-

I'm going looking this weekend for a ride on one. If it checks out, I'm in. Don't have to worry about the money situation with the wife, just the time...

WIFE, Husky, Dirt bike riding...Kitchen remodel.. HUSKY, Wife, Dirt bike riding.. DIRT BIKE RIDING, HUSKY, wife...kitch...huh? :lol: I'm sure I'll get beat up here for something!:applause:

Went from a 2000 DRZ-400e, dirt only (with plates) to a 2006 TE-510. No comparison. I'd think the TE-610 would a nice step up motorwise but I'd worry about it being too heavy on the trails for me.

I just need two bikes I guess, one for 98% dirt and one for more of an 70/30 split :-)

The specs. make the 610 look heavier the it feels. While standing still and reaching for the ground you feel like you really have you;re hands full but 3 feet down the road you would swear that you're riding a 250 mx'er. Until you roll the throttle on that is. You can outpull that DR on the low speed stuff all day and when you wind it up past 6250 rpm the DR will simply disappear in the rear view mirror. Other than that brick that they call a seat it is pretty comfy tooling down the road even at 70 plus. Besides its really fun to see the expresssion on the sport bike guys face when you smoke him in the 100 yd. dash, but don't try to hold that lead longer than a 1/8th ( its best to quit while you are ahead).

• Like 1

I been thinking real hard about the Husky. It was nice. A little more vibes than the DRZ400 but not bad. I rode in on my DRZ specifically to have a frame of reference. Went to the top of Saddleback. (Local mountain)

Usually when I ride someone else's bike, I appriciate my DRZ better, and understand what the designers had in mind. I still think for the money you can't beat a DRZ. I paid $3k for mine a year used, and have had a hell of a lot of fun, learned quite a bit. I can get out of it probably close to what I'm in it - say $2700 for a bike with 5k on the clock. What's better than that?

As for the Husky - it vibrates a little more, nothing obtrusive like a 625 SXC KTM I rode. It was definately more powerful, and a better road bike. Goes without saying. The 6th gear is nice too. Seat was marginally better than the DRZ. I noticed the power for the bike isn't as rev happy as a DRZ. (I rev mine to get anything out of it) So, the power band will take some getting used to, but over all very good. I'm certain the Husky would benefit from a tooth down on the counter sprocket. It seemed I was sitting closer to the front tire on the Husky than is normal on the DRZ, so I may need to do something with the Handlebars to make a better, more comfy fit if I owned one. People on the 'Net stated the Husky 610 feels more top heavy than a DRZ bit, but I couldn't feel it. My buddy was riding the Husky just as fast as I was off road, and within the limits of what was safe.

Suspension on the Husky was pretty good but I couldn't tell where it would ultimately settle down at. Off road it delt with the hits as good as the DRZ. My DRZ tho' has the Race Tec revalves in the cartridge forks. Mine are pretty good, in fact my buddy made a comment that his old DRZ '00 model was no where near as nice as mine! I think the Husky over time as the suspension wears in will be even more plush than a DRZ.

The Husky's an even better bike for dual sport than the DRZ - definately a better milage soaker on the street. Is it worth an extra $4k or so? I dunno... still thinking about that. I definately think it was better - and might really rip in the open desert.

I guess I'm gonna have to call around and check some prices .. Damn! more dough out the door!

The Husky's an even better bike for dual sport than the DRZ - definately a better milage soaker on the street. Is it worth an extra $4k or so? I dunno... still thinking about that. I definately think it was better - and might really rip in the open desert.

I guess I'm gonna have to call around and check some prices .. Damn! more dough out the door!

Sop around for the right price. It took me two years before I pulled the trigger but it sure was worth the wait.