Sign in to follow this  

RFVC xr200r Tappet noise?

Hey gang

I have just received my half decent 1984 XR200r (bought cheap of Ebay) and I eventually got the bike running (been in storage for 2 years) and it seems to run fine the only thing is the bike has a LOUD tapping noise from the exhaust side of the head, i have just completed a valve adjustment and the noise does not seem any different, i have changed the oil with good synthetic oil which has quietened it down a bit but not much.

First thing do these have loud tappet (rocker) noise to a start with?

Second thing is the bike has a bit of blow by should I just bite the bullet and tare down the engine and see what else is damaged?

Or i have heard that the timing chain tensioner seems to be a bit weak could that be the problem? (really does sound like tappets (rocker) though)

I now know the history of these engines and am scared of these engines now I now wondering if I just swap the engine completly and drop a XR250 in it?

Interested in your reply

:applause:

The noise could very easily be a stretched cam chain. Blow by is just rings. If your looking for an excuse to drop a 250 into it then by all means you now have it. If your just wanting your bike to run tear it apart and see what all it needs. Get a new cam chain and some new rings and check everything else out. Put it back together and ride it.

Hey guys

I have since had the rocker cover off and have found out that one of the cam followers was worn away causing the gap allowing the loude tapping noise.

I have ordered a new cam and new followers and i hope that the noise will be done with will keep you informed. What should the gap be for the valve clearance? and also are you using imperial or metric scale?

Regards Weegee

I think it is .003 inch clearance. I would remove the right sidecover and check the oil filter screen at the bottom of the case, Sometimes bits of clutch plates clog it up and causes cam failure. Very common on 20 year old bikes!

Thanks Lanz i deffinatly will do that especially since i have seen the oil filter, it was noise and dirty from what i can gather these bikes seemed ok if you understand maintenance. keep good oil up to it and change it often.

It gets me angry when people blame the machinery for poor design etc when it actually is the operator or mechanic etc who is at fault!

I know this is an old thread, but perhaps it will help someone in the future. The valve clearance on these engines is 0.002 thousands inch Intake (0.05mm) and 0.003 thousands exhaust. (0.08mm)