Sign in to follow this  

Good rear tire for KDX 220r?

The 220r that i just bought is going to be in need of a new rear tire soon. I'd like something that is going to last well. Suggestions?

Tire has to to with riding style and terrain. There is no one best. It just depends. If you just want long lasting rubber try looking a hard pack rock terrain tires or even dual sport tires.

What type of terrain? That is the deciding factor in tire choice, not so much the type of bike it goes on.

I put a kenda millville on my KDX it hooked up great but it liked to loose knobs. I put maxxis hard terrain on and loved it I put 100 miles on them so far and they still look great. The riding I did was sandy to rocky I had no problem in the loose stuff even though the tire is a hard terrain.

Yes a 110/100 18 will work other sizes that work are the 120/100 18 and the 100/100 18

I think my next tire might be a trials tire - like the Michelin M12. Never thought it would do well in the muddy rocky nw best see more guys using them and claiming they work well.

Still looks kinda weird but I think I will give it a try.

I put on a 110/100 Pirelli MT16 last week and I'm very impressed with the traction of this tire. I very recently had my carb and head modified by Ron Black so I needed a tire with good hookup in varied terrain - woods, mud, field grass, a little hardpack now and then. I rode a bunch this past weekend and was very well pleased. I was getting hookup good enough to get the front wheel off the ground on command - in some loamy woods conditions - up to 3rd gear. Yes, I'm getting a little wheel spin but in a controllable fashion, and this tire is throwing big chunks of earth. Don't know about 4th gear in the woods (tight conditions!!) but had the front come up on the hit in 4th gear in less-than perfect conditions on some farm access roads.

I'm SOLD on this tire . . . good price, great tire so far.

BTW - this tire is freakin' BIG!! You might want to confirm the 120/100 tire size fitting . . .

i like the maxxis maxcross for intermediate to soft terrain. seems to last well for the price. i ride in mud sand gravel and some hard pack terrain....

i got a chance to ride with my mt-16 110-100-18 and it was an awesome experience. Great hook up in my PA soft loamy dirt and mud.

i like the maxxis maxcross for intermediate to soft terrain. seems to last well for the price. i ride in mud sand gravel and some hard pack terrain....

Thats what I ended up ordering... for $51 shipped if I don't like it or it doesn't last long, I dont really care.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/product_family.asp?family%5Fid=3437&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D453%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D%2COffroad%20Tires%20%26%20Wheels&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D3782%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2COffroad%20Tires&2=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D154%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D1%2CMaxxis%20Offroad%20Tires&mscssid=F471BED1D8F9496AB888ABC0F1C5AF89