Sign in to follow this  

watch your rear tire on the 625

hey peeps thought i would share some picks of the problems we came across on the 625 so you can be aware...

the bike has over 4K mexico miles on it and motor wise flawless

first problem on last trip was greatly caused by the tools on the rear fender...he carries about 40lbs of chit in there...

DSCF3331.jpg

sub frame under the fender cracked.... luckily found a local and we welded it up

DSCF3329.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

then the next problem was a hairline crack around the hub

DSCF3313.jpg

it ended up being catastrophic

DSCF3431.jpg

luckily no one was hurt.....:applause::lol: :lol:

has the bike seen a lot of slab? theres been some discusion about cush drives and what happens when you dont have them on the pavement...

the only road it sees is going from one trail to another....maybe 1/6

my brother uses it for baja trips only (rides a 525 stateside) wanted to stay with KTM...he is ordering a new subframe i'll tig gussets on and as far as the hub/wheel he's trying to decide between stock or aftermarket...who makes the best hub/rim/spoke setup? he was running stock w HD spokes and still averages 2-4 broken on a 3-day ride...

also i'm sure you guys know, but the peg bolts shear easily...we drilled them out and through bolted them and problem solved (it's not easy to find someone with a drill and an easy out in the middle of the desert)

theres a guy over on adv. rider, i think its woody's wheel works or something. he's built wheels for the dakar bikes and i understand they hold up VERY well.

the only road it sees is going from one trail to another....maybe 1/6

my brother uses it for baja trips only (rides a 525 stateside) wanted to stay with KTM...he is ordering a new subframe i'll tig gussets on and as far as the hub/wheel he's trying to decide between stock or aftermarket...who makes the best hub/rim/spoke setup? he was running stock w HD spokes and still averages 2-4 broken on a 3-day ride...

also i'm sure you guys know, but the peg bolts shear easily...we drilled them out and through bolted them and problem solved (it's not easy to find someone with a drill and an easy out in the middle of the desert)

RE: 625SMC Wheels...I spoked up stock KTM LC4 18" rear/21" front using Buchannan HD spokes on std. 625SMC hubs. 2000 street/Baja miles and no problems. The spokes haven't even loosened up!! Try Wheek Works in Garden Grove CA for advice on the broken hub. Or Mark or Tim at Z Racing.

They both have a lot of Desert/Baja racing customers on KTM's...

I saw this same thing happen to my buddy after I told him he was runnng his chain too tight. Something to check in the future.