Sign in to follow this  

O ring chain

Okay, so when the day comes that I need a new chain, I may get an o ring. I guess those are the kind that have grease packed in them from the factory? So basically you don't worry about it? I wonder, do you still need to oil it? My guess is yes, because of the externals, the chain wearing on the sprocket. Am I right? Do O ring chains last longer?

in my limited experience, yes. i ride in the mud A LOT and i have had minimal wear on my o-ring chain. yes you still have to oil it so that the external parts are lubed. the o-ring chain has more friction on the pins but as long as you have a 125+ bike it is unnoticable

I just put a Regina ORN-6 Oring chain on my bike w/ renthal front and rear sprockets, and yes you do still have to lube the chain, but they last longer... And remember when you put on a new chain to also put on some new sprockets, and use the correct chain tension so it doesn't pre-maturely wear out, the tension for my bike is 1 and 3/8 of an inch...

A awesome combo is the ironman sprockets front and rear and the Regina ORN-6 oring chain.

http://www.dirttricks.com/ordering_sprockets.htm

I use WD-40 to get all the white grease off, then simply spray WD-40 on a rag and wipe the chain after I wash it. You can't get any lube past the o-rings anyway, but if you keep it wiped down with WD-40 after each ride, it keeps it lubed well enough.