Sign in to follow this  

Big wheel Dualsport/supermoto tire

Hey i got bigwheel version and need to get some tires for the stock rims for dualsporting and supermoto. I don;t know the specs at all or the rims size but i was thinking something like the maxxis Presa M6118 They must fit perfectly on the stock rims. :applause::lol:

If you want to stay with the stock rims your best tire option will be with Bridgestone:

BT 45 100/90-19

BT 45 110/90-16

For the best performance, you will want to build 17" rims and run GP 125 tires. If you need some rims built contact Cam @ www.mmracing.biz

Also, If you want to run the 150R at race pace on asphalt then you must fix the front brakes. The stock single piston caliper doesn't have close to enough braking power. Get a relocator bracker from Applied Racing (www.crfsonly.com) and a 04-06 CRF450R caliper. Fix the tires and brakes and the 150R is one bad machine for supermoto!

Steven

the BT 45 110/90-16 is a front tire but do u think it will fit on the rear

It will work on the rear. If we were keeping our CRF150F Big Wheel with stock rims that is the setup we would run. So, yes it will work and from what I understand; it is pretty much the best setup you can get for those rims.

Steven

i have to run that because i still have to be able to race around on the track. I am just waiting on mooseraings stator to come out then i'm done

I am sorry, but what do you have to run? I think I missed somthing so help me out.

Steven

i have to run the stock rims cause i still have to ride in the dirt. I think its going to make a great dual sport

Okay, I got you now. We bought new hubs for the 17" rims, so we have to sets of wheels and tires. The stock ones for MX and the 17's for supermoto. Let us know how the Bridgestones work. There might be another option for those tires by Bridgestone that will work well, see if the they make the Battlax in that size. I am not sure if they do or not, but those other tires should work pretty good.

Steven

That is a good question Red Fox and we debated it for a solid month before choosing the 17's over the 12's. After one race on the 150R with 17's against over 150R's and 85's with 12's here is what I got for you:

We choose the 17's because we are using the bike for both mini-roadracing and mini-supermoto. The 17's are much better for the dirt portions of the supermoto tracks. Also, my younger brother might run it at some of the smaller WERA roadrace venues. So, the 17's have more stability at high speeds. The above reason's are why we went with the 17's.

After racing 1 time at Starke, Fl (Pretty much a go-kart track with numerous tight corners, not many fast prolonged sweepers)

12" Tires: Turn in quicker

17" Tires: Have more all out traction due to full-on race slicks (GP125 Rubber)

The size of tire you will want to run is going to be based on what you are using the bike for. If we are only going to race with SEMRA (mini-roadracing), we would definitely use the 12" tires. However, we want to be able to run some supermoto, so the best tire for that purpose is the 17" tires.

Also, Cam from mmracing.biz is working on getting some higher quality 12" tires. He use 1 set of Sava's that were made with race compound and absolutely raved about them. You can read the review he wrote up over at www.semra.org It looks like he will be able to start ordering them, so that might even up the quality of tires between the 12" and 17". That will make the 12's and even more tempting purchase considering the difference in price for wheels and individual tires between the two sizes.

Hope that rambling answers some questions for you. Just let me know if I forgot something, because I might have just confused myself with all that typing.

Steven

P.S. I also think that 17's just look better, See below:

100_1671.jpg

Thanks, I also went back and forth on this issue but decided on the 12's for my 150 and my sons DRZ125. He is just learning and I wanted something inexpensive for him. Hope to see you at on of SEMRA's events.

Awesome, we will be at all of the SEMRA events and alot of the Barnesville Track days. If you see us come over and say hi. We have the 150R #141, YZ85 #141, and a KX65 #122. We are just getting into supermoto racing and so far me and my brothers are absolutely loving it. After too many mx injuries, I have never had more fun riding motorcycles than at the first round of SEMRA in Starke, Fl. So, make sure you come over and say hey if you see us.

Steven