Sign in to follow this  

questions on DJ install

I plan to do the dynojet needle and jet replacement on my 06 DR. I would like to remove the carb entirely I'm concerned about removing the carb linkage. Where do I disconnect what? What problems should I try to avoid? Do I need to readjust linkage when I reassemble? Pictures would be very helpful. Thanks up front for any help. Bob

The factory manual isn't overly helpful on this one but I did it by loosening both nuts on the push-pull cables and sliding them out of the linkage. I couldn't tell from the manual what to do with the choke but just loosen the bolt where the choke cable attaches and it will come right out. I thought there would be a cable connected to something in there but it's just a plunger so very easy to remove. Then it's just a matter of disconnecting the fuel and vacuum lines and the bands on each end and it should pop out. If you haven't already done so, get the bowl screws from Jesse. I got two sets since the bolts holding the vacuum cap on top of the carb were also garbage and hard to remove. On reinstall you probably will have to tweak the linkage settings but the owners manual describes this and it probably needs to be done anyway. Also be sure to line up the vacuum port on the carb top with the hole in the carb body and make sure the tiny "O" ring survived the surgery or you will have fuel feed problems due to the petcock not getting enough vacuum to open.

Since you want to completly remove the carb, although it isn't necessary, then add removing the bolts holding the air box in position to Bikesmark's excellent information above. This will give a bit more room to wrestle the carb from between the manifold and air boot. :applause:

I started out by removing the carb so that I could get it on a bench and have good lighting and a clean place to work. . I also think it's a good idea to do so if removing the pilot screw plug is on the menu, which it should be. My carb was new and I had to put it in a vise to try to get the bowl and top cap screws out. I ended up slotting them with a Dremel in order to take them out with a big straight blade and I'd have never done that with the carb still on the bike.