START OR JOIN RIDING CLUB? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Dealer/Product review: Dual Sport America a.k.a. California Dual Sport

Dual sport kit was mostly UFO with a Trick Dual Sport harness. So, the product was good, and the price was good. I got the system for $425.

The service, on the other hand, was terrible. Lee Shaw, don't know if he's the owner or just a rep, wouldn't give me straight answers to any of my questions. For example, when asked for a tracking number or when my kit was sent, after waiting a week after my kit was supposed to arrive, my only response was "soon". This is the typical answer I received. He bitched about me emailing too much, and actually said I was bothering him at one point, but I only emailed so many times because he would only answer every other one, and the answers he did finally give didn't answer my questions.

In the end, he didn't honor the entire deal, and now won't return my emails. I've tried contacting him five times over the last month. He left out an ignition switch worth almost $50, and won't send it to me. I've decided just to let it go at this point. Guys like this will self-destruct sooner or later.

Bottom line is, don't deal with this guy! The deal IS too good to be true!! Did I wind up with a kit cheaper than anywhere else, sure, but with it came an abusive dealer, no customer support, missing parts, and no guarantee.

I didn't get on here to just sling mud. I just thought I'd let you guys know.

Tye

How a company deals with a problem usually shows it's true colors. The fact that the rep would not answer simple questions says it all. You should send him a copy of your thread to let him know that thousands are now aware of his lack of customer service and integrity.

Believe me, I thought about it. I know this isn't going to ruin his business, probably not even going to make him consider changing his ways, so I didn't bother.

I work in P&A at a major custom motorcycle manufacturer, and I'd never get away with, nor would I do, the things he did.

I appreciate the support.

Tye

Lee Shaw does not sell any components from Trick Dual sport. I should know I am the owner of TDS. We use a control box with all our kits. Lee builds kits called CA dualsport. Basically a huge wire loom. He brags that he has been in business form 5 years, which is not true. If anyone thinks they bought a trick dual sport system from him. please call me at 661-268-1094. He did buy a few kits two years ago, but I don't think he has anymore. I just don't want people to think they are buying a Trick Dual Sport kit and get stuck with his product.

Dale

Sorry, I never intended to imply he said this was a trick kit. I should have been more specific.

What he told me was the "guts" were Trick. The module mounted in back of the headlight fairing, the one with the daytime/off/night switch, and the main harness. I'm not sure about anything else.

Good components, by the way!

Tye

I do not have time to babysit clients... You emailed me withh 500 questions, one at a time. I make excellent kits. Ask EVERYBODY ELSE about them... And to think I gave this guy a really good deal, and he says my kit is good... But then complains... Nice.

If you want a good kit, no boards to brake and leave your kit not working and possibly leave you stranded at night, get my "good" kit...

AHHHH...so there you are! This is what it takes to get you to respond?

As you all can see, this is what I had to deal with. I'm not going to turn this into a big argument. The facts are in my report.

I'm sorry you feel like you have to get on here and put me down. I didn't do this to cause a public argument, or to get you to respond. I did this to tell people about my experience. If I just wanted to bash you, and give an unfair report, I wouldn't have put anything good in it. BUT...

...the actual truth is your kit was only "good" because it was Trick Dual Sport and UFO. What did you make? The only thing you provided me was a good price (would have been better if I received all the parts).

I spoke to Dale about the "deal" and am going to send him a pic of the parts to satisfy his curiosity. He may even warranty them, even though I didn't buy from him. Now that's customer service!!

The people at the other six sites I've posted this same thread to have given me nothing but good support, and other bad reports about their dealings with you, as well. I'm not alone here.

Sorry you feel like the way you handle yourself is ok because personally, and in the business world, it's not. I don't have any hard feelings against you. I wish it would have turned out better.

Tye

That's strange. I didn't have any problems with this guy.

I originally bought a minimalist kit from him. It was missing the brake switches portion of the kit. I called him as soon as I noticed they were missing. He then offered a few different ways to go. The first was to send the kit back at his expense so he could verify my kits contents and to make sure I'd receive everything that was ordered to begin with. At this point we began to talk and I told him I have been specializing automotive electrical/electronic systems for over 20 years. It seemed he knew at that point I knew exactly what I needed to complete the kit and get it installed. I also didn't want him to deal with the extra expense of shipping back and forth. He then told me that because he screwed up (he made no excuse for missing parts, just said "I screwed up"), he'd send me the turn signals (not part of my original purchase) with the brake light switches.

It was last Thursday that I made the call about the missing parts. The rest of the parts showed up Monday in the mail.

I found Lee to be very professional and responsive. We all make mistakes and I certainly didn't expect more than I paid for. He went well beyond what I feel any business owner should have done.

I didn't get on here to just sling mud. I just thought I'd let you guys know.

Tye

Really? And yet you're posting it on a bunch of other websites. :applause:

Isnt trick dual sports kit only about 450. 425 is not a good enough deal to make it worth the hassle.

I sell PLENTY of these kits.

You cannot please everyone. As I stated previously, you did email umteen times. I DID block you from my email list as it was getting rediculous, and we were done with our transaction. I normally do not do that, but almost wonder if you were coached or something, as the amount of email contact was crazy. Abuse? THAT'S abuse. Abuse, is: Playing all sweet, and getting a GREAT deal, and acting like a child and wah wah wah on a public forum... all the while saying that my kit is "good"?

Everybody on this forum has dealt with a person like you, I am sure.

Just so you know, I just dropped off a FREE KEY SWITCH KIT to you, just to shut you up. I never agreed to a key switch, but I will honor what you thought we agreed on, because I am human, and may have in fact agreed to a key, in one of 38 emails...

Most customers get great kits at great prices, and I will continue to sell them. These forums are perfect places for babies to go cry. Customer service IS very important, and MOST of my customers know that I do give good customer service. Quite frankly, I am glad that everyone knows NOW that I don't put up with any crap. Help you install your kit over the phone? Sure. Did you brake a turn signal? I'll mail you another one, FOR FREE. Heck I even installed a kit for a client as somehow his kit got lost in the mail, so I installed it for him as he ended up living fairly close to me.

You are the exeption to the rule.

And by the way, my kits DO come with a one year warrentee.

Sure there is good information on these sites but there is also this nonsense...

I could care less about these forums as it relates to what I see as personality contests.

As you stated, I sold you a "good" kit.

If this will openly show that I will not put up with nonsense, good. Do I want clients or customers like you? No. Flat out. Nothing personal; I just do not have time for it. And if this diverts people from buying my kits, so be it. I want people that want kits and are happy with my product. And I have plenty of people that have bought my kits and are happy. That's good enough for me.

I do not have time for it. I am a no-nonsense, no BS guy that makes, "good" kits. Thanks for saving me more grief.

As for Dale, shame on him for talking about me on an open forum, as he is a competitor. But then again, I could care less what he says or does. I don't have time to gossip about who I am and what I do. Notice I do not sit on the computer bad mouthing other companies... I'm too busy selling kits.

I don't have time to respond to this nonsense. If you want an, again, "good kit", want a one year warrentee, from a no nonsense, straight up, no bs guy, I will get you that kit. Period.

Thanks (again), for allowing me to point this out, as I do not have time for nonsense...

"never agreed to a key switch" - This is the reason I made you list back to me everything that was included in the kit. I have the email where you agreed to this."And by the way, my kits DO come with a one year warrentee." - not mine. You made it clear it didn't have one. Again, I have the email.

"acting like a child and wah wah wah on a public forum"

"Everybody on this forum has dealt with a person like you, I am sure."

"just to shut you up"

"These forums are perfect places for babies to go cry"

"You are the exeption to the rule."

"Thanks for saving me more grief."

No Lee, thank you for driving home my point!

Like you, I don't have time for this, and I'm sure the moderators here don't want threads to be taken up by this type of stuff. I'll just agree to disagree.

Tye

I've never used CA dual sport, but I have bought a kit from Dale at Trick Dual Sport and can say that his customer service is top notch. I had a problem with my kit and he had me call him after hours and he wallked me through testing the kit. When it still didn't work, he asked me to send it back to him to look at. Even though the kit was way out of warranty, he made the repair and sent it back to me. All I had to pay was the shipping.:applause:

Thank you micksrule. I appreciate that. I do not have time to get on these posts, and do not need to win any personality contests, and am, self admitted, a no nonsense guy.

What people have to do is use their heads. These forums are excellent, in the sense that there is invaluable information re: dirtbikes. These forums are also double edged as people can give misinformation.

There are competitors out there in every business.

Can't a competitor ask a friend to bad mouth another competitor, and then can't more people falsely do the same and attempt to sabotage the other competitor?

An objective method to ascertain whether or not my product is good or not is to check a site where feedback is provided, negative or positive. camireese is our handle on eBay and though my wife sells alot of "Nemo" books I sell kits there too. Sift through and see my feedback on my kits. Regardless of the sifting, our feedback is 99.8% positive and 1167 worth of feedbacks...

Also, $425 as compared to $450 is very incorrect. The kit is normally $450, THEN add an $80 tail light, AND a Free, (oops) $50 key switch... $450+$80+$50 $580... NOT TO MEANTION FREE SHIPPING I THREW IN...

How do you live with yourself??? God Bless you...

Enough of this nonsense. I need to make kits... I WILL NOT RESPOND FURTHER TO THIS NONSENSE...

:applause::eek::lol: :lol: :lol:

The conspiracy theory...keep reaching, man. I don't know Dale at Trick. I talked to him once about this deal.

Fact is, we can say anything we want in regards to what happened. Those who read this will just have to decide for themselves. I'm willing to end this and let it be.

Tye

I do not have down play Lee's Company. He does it fine by himself. At one time he was telling everyone that the Trick kit was the best kit out there. Now he tells people that because we use a printed curcuit board that it will leave you stranded. Since our kit does not control the operation on the ignition, How can we leave you stranded???

As for you Ebay business, most of the stuff sold in non-motorcycle related.

Finally, you suggest that I put this guy up to posting how poor your customer support is. I have never met this guy before. Luckily you were save my a guy with 2 posts.

Dale

Most customers get great kits at great prices, and I will continue to sell them. These forums are perfect places for babies to go cry. Customer service IS very important,...

Calling a customer who just bought 425 dollars worth of stuff from you a cry baby on a public forum is NOT good customer service.

Thank you micksrule. I appreciate that. I do not have time to get on these posts, and do not need to win any personality contests, and am, self admitted, a no nonsense guy.

What people have to do is use their heads. These forums are excellent, in the sense that there is invaluable information re: dirtbikes. These forums are also double edged as people can give misinformation.

There are competitors out there in every business.

Can't a competitor ask a friend to bad mouth another competitor, and then can't more people falsely do the same and attempt to sabotage the other competitor?

An objective method to ascertain whether or not my product is good or not is to check a site where feedback is provided, negative or positive. camireese is our handle on eBay and though my wife sells alot of "Nemo" books I sell kits there too. Sift through and see my feedback on my kits. Regardless of the sifting, our feedback is 99.8% positive and 1167 worth of feedbacks...

Also, $425 as compared to $450 is very incorrect. The kit is normally $450, THEN add an $80 tail light, AND a Free, (oops) $50 key switch... $450+$80+$50 $580... NOT TO MEANTION FREE SHIPPING I THREW IN...

How do you live with yourself??? God Bless you...

Enough of this nonsense. I need to make kits... I WILL NOT RESPOND FURTHER TO THIS NONSENSE...

Based on your inability to be professional in response to a dissatisfied customer I doubt you will be selling many more kits to the people on this forum.

Thank you micksrule. I appreciate that

I was getting the idea that since micksrule has only posted to this thread, it is actually your alter ego :applause:

I probably would have written this off as an entertaining private dispute until he questioned Dales character. That's when the red flag goes up for me.

I have dealt with and met Dale personally. I bought one of his kits for my wr450 and installed it incorrectly. Just to help me out, Dale had me over to his home where I chatted with his family while he spent time working on my bike and solving my errors. After repeatedly offering to pay for his time and efforts, he refused. He wasn't even upset that I had taken up a couple hours of his time

Dale and his products are are top notch.

Also, I have never heard any vendor/supplier talk openly about a customer like what I have read in this post.

TT can make you or break you. That's the yen/yang of it.