Sign in to follow this  

Piston scuffing photo

there must be something seriously wrong, like not getting enough oil and overheating, b/c after 20 hours the piston should still be like new, the replacement interval is 70-80 hours on them.

With that kind of scuffing on your piston, and with the piston it that kind of shape, the cylinder could (most likely) be damaged also.. What type of oil do you use and how often do you change it, you should be using a motorcycle specific oil and changing it every 3-4 hours.

I would also check the oil jet that is right below the cylinder, see if it is working and all of the lubrication systems, b/c that piston looks bad. Here is a picture of my OEM piston at 110 hours.

HPIM3112.JPG

HPIM3113.JPG

My pics above mean that it is time for replacement, when the piston skirts wear you get piston slap and when that gets to violent you get piston failure, but again I would find out the fault in your lubrication system b/c a piston should not look like that after 20 hours.

Just thought of one other thing that could have contributed to the scuffing, if you had your air filter installed wrong or inadequately oiled, or problems w/ it it would have let dirt and dust in to cause the wear.

and to put images directly in the message you insert a image url here

The cylinder is fine still round. The motor started to make a noise when I checked the oil it was halve way on the stick. Could the low oil level cause the damage?

did you clean it before the pictures? It does not look that bad. How many hours are on it? I would guess that there would be no valve slap. Did you measure the piston skirts? That would tell you more info. Here are the pictures of my stock piston with 218 hours on it.

02-29-07007.jpg

02-29-07006.jpg

02-29-07005.jpg

02-29-07004.jpg

No I didnt clean it at all but there's only 20 hours max on the engine. Yours looks wore but with a lot more hours than mine.

It could be that it's the piston casting just causes the excessive scuffing. The only great way to tell is to mic out the old one to a new one. To answer your question in my opinion I dobut that the ammount of scuffing you have will cause knocking.

The cause of those scuffs is a hand full of dirt you probably have the same kind of wear on your crank. Check the rod for excessive up and down play, it should have none. That might be the cause of your knock lack of oil would have transfered more aluminum to the cylinder.