Sign in to follow this  

Need help ASAP(carb/heating issue)

trying to get bike done so I can go riding tomorrow let me explain whats been acting up and what its doing now

at first it was just cutting out after the bike warmed up and you were at idle and hit throttle to 100% it would stutter, so we uped the main jet to 132 vs. stock 130 and it didn't seem to help at all. So tried upping the lower speed jet from 140 to 145 and same thing, now I have both stock jets back in and need some help, I know when you ride the airflow keeps the header cool but I start up the bike and the header glows orange about 1 min or so after just sitting there and the blocks not even that warm yet, so whats going on? The bolts on the header are tight so no air is getting in there at least I don't think any is but like I said it's glowing orange really quick I understand thats normal if a bikes idled after a while plus its night so I know I will see it a little better but after about 1 min? also anyone know the stock settings for the idle screw and the air/fuel mix screw on the carb? thanks in advance

The header glowing is normal.even after 1 min.Stock fuel screw is 2 turns.But try 1 turn and then 1 1/2 turn that should get rid of your stumble.Also make sure all the pipe connections are tight not just the header.Your low speed (pilot?)should be a 42 or go back to stock 40,45 is too much.Did you open the air box or what did you do?cuz if you did you need at least a 152 main.

152 main!! yikes its 130 stock thats a huge jump! the bikes stock no pipe or filter mods just baffle removed but I have a 132 for the main should I throw that in instead of that 130 then? ok and mixture screw is 2 turns out ? I will try that but also idle is 2 1/2 turns out also? I have bike on a stand and all thats on it is gas tank and carb so I can pull off the carb and swap jets but thanks for the info if you can confirm the mixture and idle settings for me that would be great thanks again!

edit also it was running way to rich with 132 main and 145 slow speed it was poppin at idle and shooting out black smoke

plug is showing its running rich though with the 130 main and the 40 low speed so I will adjust mix screw and see what happens. i am in missouri, elevation of about 500ft, if that matters. will that 152 jet work. not sure where u guys are from

How do you know the plug says it's running rich?You need a new or clean plug and ride your bike at wot for a second, pull the clutch in and kill the bike and check plug.you can't do it at idle or on a dirty plug.Listen and you will cure your problem.Even with the baffle out the bike will run leaner and it does no good to remove the baffle without increased air intake.Popping is a lean condition.Your fuel mixture will vary with your jetting and your conditions.the idle you should be able to set by ear once the bike is warm and jetting is set.

like AS said your running lean with popping which you would go fatter on the fuel screw.

is the airbox opened???? Have you recently oiled the air filter?

i have the airbox off so its open I will take your advice for now I will put 132 main back in and lower the clip and go from there sorry if I am being difficult to work with and thanks for the help

I will pick up a 152 tomorrow and toss it in see how it does

ok I have a 152 main in now with the 40 pilot(stock) and it idles really high but seems like the idle adjustment screw isnt doing anything seeing as it turns fully each way with out ever stopping.... so even with it idling high the header and the pipe itself still get really really hot way to quick, I started it up for the first time at all today with the 152 and rode it around the block about a 60 second ride and the pipe would boil my spit right off it, I know the exhaust shouldn't be that quick at warming up so is that possible because the idle is off?

I also have my mixture screw 2 turns out

If your idle is too high it will cause it to heat up too quick. I'm not sure why the idle would be so high and un able to be adjusted. You said that you had the air box off for a while? Is that true? If so you can't even start to work on getting the jetting on like that. The amount of air that is going in there is way too much compared to when you get it back on. I agree with the other guys with the 152 that should be close. Is your choke on?

The header glowing is normal.even after 1 min.Stock fuel screw is 2 turns.But try 1 turn and then 1 1/2 turn that should get rid of your stumble.Also make sure all the pipe connections are tight not just the header.Your low speed (pilot?)should be a 42 or go back to stock 40,45 is too much.Did you open the air box or what did you do?cuz if you did you need at least a 152 main.

Is it really that normal for the header to glow. I was running my baffle and snorkel out before with stock jetting and my header never did that.

If your idle is too high it will cause it to heat up too quick.You said that you had the air box off for a while? Is that true? If so you can't even start to work on getting the jetting on like that. The amount of air that is going in there is way too much compared to when you get it back on. I agree with the other guys with the 152 that should be close. Is your choke on?

It's heating up just quick as crap the muffler is getting hot enough like I said to boil spit or water on it after riding it around the block for no more then 60 seconds or so. I have it setup with the airbox on and the sub frame mounted so I can ride it around to test it out under a load, and I start it with the choke on and then turn it off and just rev it so it won't die the idle is WAY to high it seems.

Sounds like the Idle adjuster is broken.

BTW - my header does not glow at night.

I think you might be correct becuase it just spins and spins and spins

and my header will glow at night after like I said 1 min or just running

but can the bike honestly warm the entire exhaust up that fast if the idle is to high the block is barely getting warm!

If it's burning too hot still it could be that you are still lean. I doubt it with a 152 main at 500FT you are still lean.

As far as the header I guess that it could be bike specific. I've heard a lot of guys that have this happen with no problems. I have never really looked at night to see if mine glows.

cable on idle adjuster is broken I know this is a setting that differs from bike to bike but what is stock setting for it? 2 1/2 out I would like to set it there and see

The dle adjuster doesn't have a "setting" you just have to adjust it till the bike idles on its own with out it dying and not so high that the idle takes a while to settle.

thanks! going to go tune it now thanks again for all the help guys I will let you know how it run soon as I get it set

These 2 guys know exactly what they are talking about. I did same mods and makes all the difference. Bike comes way to lean from factory. Put in the 152 main and cut open the airbox. You won't believe the difference.

Good Luck

when you guys say cut open the air box which section? just cut off or take off that top intake section that has 2 vents on it on the top of the box?

Cut out the whole top is what the ccc mods show,you have to remove your air box to do the whole thing.Most people and myself only cut from the front of the box to where the battery sits,this can be done with the air box in.