Sign in to follow this  

so my bike decided to puke out .3 liters of coolant

Checked it before the ride and it was at the top of the fins like always. The track was really muddy. Bike ran fine all day never felt too hot to me.

So today I check it and I see no coolant :lol: I pour in about 25-30 capfuls and that gets it full again. I then pour 25 capfuls into a water bottle to see how much coolant I lost.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=37156

I estimate that to be about .3 liters. The system holds 1.2 liters.

The track was total sand soil and I did have a good bit of mud all over the engine, rads. The engine oil is at the same level so it isn't mixing.

What would you guys do first replace the rad cap or the head gasket? I don't know what to think :applause: It still runs fine.

Totally normal for the KX250F, we raced HS and XC with them for 3 years. Tight bush or mud where you lug it or use the clutch alot they run hot and you will loose coolant. Just keep it topped up every ride, or put a coolant overflow on, but for mx not needed.

A bad head casket can do that.

Yep! change the gasket, if it does the same thing again!

thanks guys I think the gasket must be the culprit. At first I was thinking that it was probably because of all the mud on the bike and the muddy track but my bike never overheated, no steam coming out of it or anything, and the engine wasn't noticably hotter than usual.

On the next ride I'll be sure to check it after every session and if I have to keep adding coolant I'll put a new gasket on there. Actually works out at a good time because I need to take it apart and install a new piston anyway.

yea Josh, how's the new gearing ratio?

im thinking of going down...i put a 49...put 1st.2nd, and 3rd feel really short...

ya I've riden my share this winter aswell :applause: (Washington) so I don't think the conditions were an issue since I've never lost coolant before.

And I've got the 47t aswell as a new gold chain sitting in the shop but I still need to order a front sprocket. My old ones still have a little life left so I'm in no hurry to change.