Sign in to follow this  

Anti freeze,green or red

So I just put on my fixed radiator"Thanks Mylers" on my 05 sx250 and I have alot of red anti freeze and not enough of the green I took out.My GM dealer tells me to never put red anti freeze in my GM,:applause: so does the same rule apply with my KTM? Do I use the red or do I buy some green.Hmmmm

So I just put on my fixed radiator"Thanks Mylers" on my 05 sx250 and I have alot of red anti freeze and not enough of the green I took out.My GM dealer tells me to never put red anti freeze in my GM,:applause: so does the same rule apply with my KTM? Do I use the red or do I buy some green.Hmmmm

Your dealer needs to be more specific.

I use "silicate and phosphate free" antifreeze in all my cars (one of them a GM product) and all my bikes (but not in my air-cooled one, hehe)

. . . and it's RED, not green.

rdefonce is correct in saying you want NO Silicate or Phosphorous additives in your antifreeze.

Walmart sells a new green antifreeze that is silicate and phosphorus free that's safe to use in all antifreezes. I believe its their Tech brand. Also you can use Prestone Dexcool which is orange. Most of your 5 year antfreeze is safe to use. Silicate will trash your waterpump seals as they aren't as strong as what's in a car or truck waterpump. Dexcool isn't compatible with other green antifreezes, so I pretty much stick to either Walmart 5 year Tech or Sierra brands.

I believe red antifreeze is what is used in foreign cars, because my Toyota has red antifreeze along with our farm tractors.

rdefonce is correct in saying you want NO Silicate or Phosphorous additives in your antifreeze.

Walmart sells a new green antifreeze that is silicate and phosphorus free that's safe to use in all antifreezes. I believe its their Tech brand. Also you can use Prestone Dexcool which is orange. Most of your 5 year antfreeze is safe to use. Silicate will trash your waterpump seals as they aren't as strong as what's in a car or truck waterpump. Dexcool isn't compatible with other green antifreezes, so I pretty much stick to either Walmart 5 year Tech or Sierra brands.

I believe red antifreeze is what is used in foreign cars, because my Toyota has red antifreeze along with our farm tractors.

I mean't to say what I use is orange, not red. Apparently there's a diff!

My '06 xc-w still has it's original green stuff . . . guess I better swap it out since it's been a year.

VanH, what's the advantage of Engine Ice, cooler running temps?

My little 200 smudgepot runs super cool already, but I'll bet a big stroker would benefit from cooler-running stuff. Especially in tight/slow conditions.

I mean't to say what I use is orange, not red. Apparently there's a diff!

My '06 xc-w still has it's original green stuff . . . guess I better swap it out since it's been a year.

VanH, what's the advantage of Engine Ice, cooler running temps?

My little 200 smudgepot runs super cool already, but I'll bet a big stroker would benefit from cooler-running stuff. Especially in tight/slow conditions.

Same coolant running temps, just doesn't boil over as easily. Engine ice is propylene glycol/water + additives (RV antifreeze). Propylene glycol mixes have a higher boiling point BUT less heat capacity (Holds less heat per volume, so won't as efficiently cool your engine as water or ethylene glycol/water).

So Engine Ice should only be used if you are worried about loosing coolant due to boiling over IMO. Only one other reason to run Engine Ice - Propylene glycol is non-toxic compared to ethylene glycol.

rayin said it pretty well, the blue stuff boils at a higher temp, but it also makes the engine a little hotter too. The benefit is that you dont lose the fluid which in the long run keeps the engine cooler than if you lost coolant. I used it in my 300 cuz it would boil once in a while, the 200 doesnt need it.

Guys, thanks for the explanation. Makes sense to me.

Now, I assume everyone in Last Man Standing was using the stuff!

Or should have used the stuff,as we saw some major boiling-over happenin' :-o

The main reason I switched to Engine Ice is I want to avoid boiling over. I ride primarily Cross Country races and and spend a lot of time in the single track areas. Luckily, I have had no boil overs and hope to keep it that way. Everyweek I see bikes over heating and hope my day isn't coming. I used the Ice in my 4 stroke and in my new 250 2 stroke and have no overheating problems.

The stuff I had sitting around was the chevron brand.Says all kinds of things about how its good for alumunum motors,extends waterpump seal life but nothing about additives.Its ornge and you are supposed to mix water with it.

Thanks for all the responces.I was hedded out in the am before the stores open so I ended up using it.I wonder if I should leave it in there?Bike didnt over heat or anything.

Thanks agian,

I dont ride hard enough to use the blue ice.

You can use plain water if you want to mess up your waterpump seals because they need the lubricate that's in antifreeze to lubricate the seal contact surface. Also plain water boils at 212 degrees F while antifreeze boils at like 280 degrees F.

I actually use G-12 coolant that both Audi and VW run in their cars.

It is a bit expensive, but the quality is great. I have many hours on my 2003 with it, and the Rads and pump look excellent!

is it ok just to use water

Yes, but only if it's distilled water, or deionized water and if you don't have negative temperatures any time of the year.