Sign in to follow this  

Speedo Drive with MArchesini help please

I think I already know the answer, but is a stock SM speedo drive removable?

Im installing the new wheels and it seems i will be without a speedo for a bit????

Thanks a lot

Anyone?

Wheels are on and look pretty damn neat. Pics in the morning. Ziptied the speedo cable out of the way for now.

It is removable. I'm not sure about using it with your new wheels.

It is removable. I'm not sure about using it with your new wheels.

I know the Speedo Box (the part attatched to the end of the cable) comes off, I am wondering about the part attatched to the wheel. I don't see it coming off though:excuseme:

I know the Speedo Box (the part attatched to the end of the cable) comes off, I am wondering about the part attatched to the wheel. I don't see it coming off though:excuseme:

I guess I'm not sure what you're asking. Try looking it up on Ron Ayers.com or some other microfiche or in your service manual. I think everything comes apart given enough effort. :applause:

When installing the front wheel the end of the speedo cable "locks" into a machiened portion of the front wheel hub. That machiened portion does not exist on the new front wheel. As far as I can see, it is not removable, and is a fixed part of the wheel.

Ive checked out the OEM diagrams online and in the manual but I don't see it as its own part. Maybe I am missing something in how Im seeing or explaining it.

I am not 100% sure but I don't think they are compatible.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the way I understand it, the Marchs come with their own spacers and have no provision for the stock speedo hookup.

you can remove your speedo drive and replace it with a regular wheel spacer similar to the one on the left side. take the speedo drive spacer to a machine shop and have a spacer made.. i had to do something similar with my new triple so i had to have custom spacers made for both sides......

good luck

Right now it's too dark and cold in the garage to check it, but I will give it a closer look tomorrow.

They are race wheels after all, so I'd think a speedo hookup would be the least of their priorities...

I'll check it out tomorrow...

Found the part on the 'Front Wheel' part of the DRZ fiche.

#6 BOX ASSY, SPEEDOMETER GEAR 54600-29F10

Looks like it can come off the stock hub... now the question is can you pu it on he Marchs.

That will have to wait till daylight...

Found the part on the 'Front Wheel' part of the DRZ fiche.

#6 BOX ASSY, SPEEDOMETER GEAR 54600-29F10

Looks like it can come off the stock hub... now the question is can you pu it on he Marchs.

That will have to wait till daylight...

I think that is the part that is attatched to the end of the speedo cable. It for sure comes off. The part in question is the mating half on the stock SM wheel...

no you cannot use it on the marchis.

In tht case do you know of any other options for a speedo/odo. It is still a street bike for me eventhough it will be tracked a lot.

i use the SPA tach/speedo combo, but it's spendy and i've had issues with it. there are lots of digital aftermarket speedos that use magnets like bicycle computers. you can even use a bicycle computer. the veypor(sp?) is a popular alternative.

I looked this morning and I don't see an 'easy' way to adapt the drive on the Marchs.

Personnaly I would do what DRZOOMN suggests.

I looked this morning and I don't see an 'easy' way to adapt the drive on the Marchs.

Personnaly I would do what DRZOOMN suggests.

Im not sure Im ready to give up. Id really like to have the best of both worlds. Im going to dig deeper and see if I can somehow do something :applause::lol: :lol: :eek::naughty:

if you want to use the stock speedo with the Marchesinis, you're going to spend a LOT of money having custom spacers/adapters made. Just order a Trail Tech Vapor or Lynx for $120 and be done with it - that's what I did.

There is no simple way to get the stock setup to work with the Marchesinis. Period.

if you want to use the stock speedo with the Marchesinis, you're going to spend a LOT of money having custom spacers/adapters made. Just order a Trail Tech Vapor or Lynx for $120 and be done with it - that's what I did.

There is no simple way to get the stock setup to work with the Marchesinis. Period.

That looks like what I'm going to do. Not my first choice, but clearly the easiest and fastest.