Sign in to follow this  

Need some advice.

To start, I have a 2006 CRF250R. I have not touched the suspension on it yet.

I was riding on Sunday with some friends at a near by track. There is a section where you leave a burm and go down a small hill through a section of big whoops. It is real hard packed dirt and has several lines through it.

I have never had a problem there at all, but I was really pushing my own pace when I went down.

The rear wheel started hopping from side to side, each time getting worse and worse until it went completely sideways and threw me to the ground. I hit the ground hard, and it sucked. I am still barely able to move my left arm.

My question is, what caused the rear tire to do that, and how can I prevent it from happening again?

Jay,

I also just ordered an EVS BJ22. I hope that will help next time.

I've experienced this once on my bike and twice in a car. Each time I was laid into a hard turn and something caused the back end to kick out. My first time, it was in a car and I was powersliding through a downhill left, when I hit an unmarked 8 inch wide trench that had been cut into the road pavement by the county, to install a drainage line under the road. It was only about 3-4 inches deep and only lacked the blacktop being added, but it was enough to cause my rear tires to break contact just long enough to initiate the side-to-side-death-slide. That one wasn't good, but could've been much worse...after a couple of 360's, I took a telephone pole to the driver's side, just behind the driver's seat. It crushed the side of the car in about 18 inches, looked like a monster truck had rolled up the side of it. Second time was on my CR250 on an unfamiliar trail in an OHV area. The turn was more sandy that I realized and I got on the gas too hard on the way out. The back slid in the sand and it was deja-vu. That one ended up ok though, 'cept for my bars...

Third time was again in a car and although I don't really remember what caused it, this was the only one I managed to save. By gassing it and counter-steering.

There are many reasons why. The question is which one caused the out of control side swapping dance.

Here's some things to run through and consider taking a look at.

1. Suspension set up. Maybe you had to much rebound in the shock. Or other adjustments aren't just right.

2. Correct body position. Position your body so the entire weight of the body and bike are evenly spread over both tires. ie. Move forward for up hill and keeping your front planted in corners and accelerating. Move back for down hill and braking. Apply pressure to the foot pegs. Don't rest your entire body weight onto the seat.

3. Holding on to the the bike. Like it was said above, grip with the legs. You steer a bike just as much if not more with your legs than you do with your arms. Press down on the peg that is on the outside of a corner and drive that same knee into the tank. In a straight line apply even pressure to both pegs that will keep the back end planted.

So Vamp, you don't think it may have been something kicking his back tire out?

You say you haven't touched your suspension, so I would assume this means you didn't set the sag. Swapping is often caused by improper sag or the wrong spring rate.

go up a gear and keep accelerating thru the whoops,,,,,where in NM do you ride?

go up a gear and keep accelerating thru the whoops,,,,,where in NM do you ride?

this works for me. allows the suspension to actually work. I find in my case if I'm in a lower gear, swapping and overall bad handling are MUCH worse.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have not adjusted the suspension from the orginal stock settings. I did check the rear sag. From what I remember, the bike had 30-40mm of static sag, and when I sat on it, it was another 70mm of sag. So I thought that was pretty close.

I am heavy for the bike I am sure. I weigh 190 right now. I need someone to show me how to set up the suspension on of these days.

Raptor,

I ride on the west side of Albuquerque. I live on the edge of the mesa, so I have alot to play on out here.

I ride the end of southern in Rio Rancho at least a couple times a week,every possible combination of whoops and terrain imaginable.

I have never ridden the bike out in the rio puerco, (end of southern) but I have taken my jeep out there many times to go wheelin.

I live in the Ventana Ranch West subdivision, so I dont even load up in a truck most times, I just hit the dirt and go.

The track I am talking about is kind of hard to find, in fact I found it all on accident. I was just out trail riding when I found it.

It seems that on Sundays, most places are real crowded and I dont like that so much. It can get dangerous when your minding your own buisness and some 6 year old on a quad cuts in front of you going the wrong way.

I have never seen more than 3 other people at this track on any Sunday, and during the week, it is empty. So it gives me a good chance to be slow and work on one thing at a time.

One of these days maybe we can meet up and go ride. It is allways nice to find people to ride with.

Jay

So Vamp, you don't think it may have been something kicking his back tire out?

Actually I did think about breaking bumps. That's why I wrote in item number three to keep pressure on both pegs in a straight line to keep the rear end planted.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have not adjusted the suspension from the orginal stock settings. I did check the rear sag. From what I remember, the bike had 30-40mm of static sag, and when I sat on it, it was another 70mm of sag. So I thought that was pretty close.

I am heavy for the bike I am sure. I weigh 190 right now. I need someone to show me how to set up the suspension on of these days.

Raptor,

I ride on the west side of Albuquerque. I live on the edge of the mesa, so I have alot to play on out here.

If you say you weigh "190" your riding weight is actually 20 lbs more. You're probably a candidate for a different rear spring.

Also, READ YOUR MANUAL. It's got a whole long chapter on suspension setup and it's written as clearly as anything else you'll find.

The Honda manual is damn good. Read it. Change some settings, run a few laps and adjust again. It's going to get either better or worse. If it gets better, keep doing that same adjustment until it gets worse, then back off a notch or two.

Sounds like your sag needs resetting as a bare beginning, then go from there

If you say you weigh "190" your riding weight is actually 20 lbs more. You're probably a candidate for a different rear spring.

I was thinking that too.

Thanks again guys for the advice. I am going to take this weekend off. I still have alot of pain in my back and left side from last weeks fall. So this will give me a good opportunity to get that sag set before next weekend.

Jay

You denfinetly need heavier springs.

But sometimes bikes are like women. You get into trouble and you have no idea why.

But sometimes bikes are like women. You get into trouble and you have no idea why.

lmao.gif Well, By Gawd! That's the most intelligent statement in this thread!!!rotf.gif

:applause: Very true, thanks I needed the laugh after today.