Sign in to follow this  

xr 200/cr 85 conversion

just started my conversion with a lifan 200 motor and mostly 2005 cr 85 parts. started the cutting and grinding, got crappy pictures from my old camera with the first test fit with only the tubes cut, no griding. more pics to come later with my much nicer camera.:applause:

IMGA0397.jpg

IMGA0413.jpg

IMGA0404.jpg

• Like 1

im going to attempt this conversion with one goal in mind. to be orignal and NOT cut and lengthen the top tube of the frame. I would like to see if this is too heavy for my tastes as a bigwheel 200. . . if so .. i will probably cut it off and go the 100 route and possibly down to the 14 17 wheels and make it more of a 'pllay bike'

finished the grinding and cutting, now its time to wait for my chromoly money to arrive via paycheck. . . then start welding, with my millermatic 210. o yeah. more pics to come with my awesome camera. probably tomorrow . . pictures with somewhat of a fitment regimine....

im also looking for a xr 200 stator cover and chain cover so i can ditch this stupid electric start combobulation.

here are some more pics in case anyone is interested. this is pretty much where im taking measurments just so i have room for the tubing. then it'll get a little more precise for actuall motor mounts. i think im going to try the rear mounts first. . or maybe the front. not sure yet.

P1010207.jpg

jhchgchg.jpg

hgfhg.jpg

avb.jpg

these motors ....i have one for my pitbike and it has held up very excellent, but we will see...it was nearly impossible to find a decent xr200 motor used... at a reasonable price..then get all the accessories...eeek. but if she don't work out, ill just go the 100 route.

Did you get the carb and wiring harness for the lifan engine?

everything came with it. . . but we'll see how the carb lasts/performs..i can't find too much info on upgrading the xr 200's carb... i might get a better "rev box" too. we'll see, im getting the chromoly next week so it's almost weld time.

everything came with it. . . but we'll see how the carb lasts/performs..i can't find too much info on upgrading the xr 200's carb... i might get a better "rev box" too. we'll see, im getting the chromoly next week so it's almost weld time.

A rev box on a Lifan? Now I'm really interested....

"O"

hahahaha.. i sense your sarcasm. i changed alot of die hard honda fans minds into chinese products by being daring just to see what abuse it could take. . . we will see for sure.

Any updates? I'm very interested to see how the Lifan engine works.

Hi this project is really cool hope you can update us with more photos and so.

I found a link from a japanese guy that makes very interesting things, also on cr80-xr200. Check it maybe it´s usefull for you.

Is in japanese, but photos talk by themselve.

http://www.geocities.jp/back_yard_builder/xcr200/xcr200r1.HTM

Joan

I wish I could read Japanese. WHy did he cut the swing arm down the middle like that? Also, what with the custom fuel tank? Looks like like he knows what he doing although it would be a lot of extra labour..... And did that xr200 have a starter?

yea other people pics are always useful. but im not going to cut and destroy the geometry o f my frame, im just basically lowering the center of gravity and losing one inch of ground clearance. that way i can re do it if i don't like iit with a xr 100 motor. and i think that dude jus liked making very custom parts. there is no need to do any swingarm widening....or a custom tank...wow! lots of time for that jobber. i saw one guy did what im going to do, use a heat gun and mold the underside of the tank to fit around the head of the motor. stay tuned, more pics coming soon.

it came with an electric one, but i am tryiing to find an xr200 stator cover to get rid of er, i dont' like it, and to shed some weight off this pig.

One tip to remember when doing these conversions is to keep the countershaft sprocket as close to the swingarm pivot as possible to prevent chain tensioning problems.

The position (up and down) of the countershaft in relation to the swingarm pivot is important also.

thanks for the input, both of these options are already on my top priority list. those are first and foremost.t hen it's time to deal with the intake and exhaust in regards to removing frame and re winding the frame tubes. but i want to maintain the frames original geormetry. im getting pretty close now. i just need some chromoly tubing i hate not making enough money....hahaha....

One tip to remember when doing these conversions is to keep the countershaft sprocket as close to the swingarm pivot as possible to prevent chain tensioning problems.

The position (up and down) of the countershaft in relation to the swingarm pivot is important also.

wish i woulda knew that 8 years ago when me and my dad built a mini bike with a 1995 mini bike fram and a briggs n stranton 5hp motor, wouldnt have kept poppin chains off, or breakin the master link...:applause:

there are lots of things you have to consider doing this, but a lot of it is just looking a running production bike and taking notes and trying to mimmick that as closely as possible. i didn't start with a complete 85. i bought a frame and tank and started there. i am almost complete now as far as 85 parts are concerned. im waiting for my linkage to get here so i can mount everything up and line up the chain.