Sign in to follow this  

06 rmz 450 handling question?

hi all, i own a 06 rmz 450. got it because of a great price, i'm color blind love em all, red, yellow, blue, green, orange. so far happy with it. love the power i'm 5'7" 130lbs and have changed fork and shock springs to softer ones to better match my weight. the bike does get a little bit of head shake when i bang a rock desert riding a stabilizer is in the future. i have ridden my friends 04 rm 250 and it steers, or flicks over so much easier that i thought my 450 was just being a 450. then my other friend picked up an 07 ktm sxf 450 and it rode very similar to the rm 250, easy to flick into a corner. so is the rmz 450 just a tank? is there some thing i can look into to help get it to corner better? also when in the corner as i hit the power it wants to stand back up and not hold the bank.

thanks for any advice

mike

Sounds like maybe you need some gearing changes, and maybe a different tire combo?? The RMZ is by far the most "flickable" 450 out there. Your weight is they key, like me that 450 does not even know your on it. Try a smaller rear sprocket, that should keep the front end down. Keep working on it, when you figure it out you will be flying!

I dont see mention in your post about the sag setting. That makes a HUGE difference obviously. Something isnt balanced right. It should be able to dart around like a go cart...

Try you forks 3mm below the line in your clamps. Sag about 105mm give or take. Try different clicker settings on the rear shock especially HSC and rebound.

I love the michelin ms3 tyres. You are on the small side for this bike but then again look at what ricky carmichel can do on one. Just keep practicing.

I too rode a 07 ktm450sx and was impressed with the turning in. I hated the rake of the front forks but man those bikes have good brakes. I find the 450 to much bike for me and am looking at getting a rmz250. I do mostly mx though