Radiator Fan

I've had to use more and more my hotstart lever ...

Sounds to me your issues are beyond a hot running bike... and the warm weather.

...good luck with the fan. I personally think your waisting your hard earned money (unless your to ride single track and have a 'overheating' issue).

Let us know how the install turns out... both of ya!! Make sure to take plenty of pictures and we can post it up as a "how to". :applause:

i ride woods and single track, on a hot day my Vapor computer reports temps over 220 in some cases abd when your going up a steep hill or digging up sand and over bogs you cant always go fast enough to get the airflow you need. i think a fan would be a good move for me. however i am going to be cheap. i think i am going to buy the temp sending unit and find a couple of 12 volt computer case fans for each side and secure them with wire ties to the rad's . i dont care if they fail due to water as they are cheap to replace.

either that or search ebay for a parted out 4 wheeler fans. my shadow has one i may look nto that. i am sure its not to hard to either retro fit another fan or make a bracket for one for a lot less money.

If you want a cheap solution just use a computer type fan. You can pick them up more powerful ones for $5 at www.allelectronics.com. No they are not sealed, and yes they will fail. At $5 just replace it. Very light weight, just zip tie to the radiator core. This would be a good powerful one to use http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/CF-287/search/12_VDC,_120_MM_COOLING_FAN_.html

computer case fans... are fans that require a barrier, or to be enclosed to create movement. That's the reason they are surrounded by the enclosure. Put one in your hand... and see just how much air movement is created... or put on against you radiator to see just how much air it can pull through your radiator.... not much.

Use something that's been tested on other bikes, and actually cools the bike. Meaning something that has the power to draw enough air through the radiator. Something that sits against the radiator and whispers sweet nothings will do just that... nothing.

... and no, I've not tried any fan on a bike... but I've tried several fans on different applications (high end stereo amplifier fan enlosures, for example) and was bummed after all the work, time, etc for it to fail... only to put out the dollars and use something worthy, did it finally work.

Good luck!! Let us know how it works out!! Hopefully you have a temp guage to show before, and after results in like for like conditions :applause:

This isn't about bad jetting, it's about being safe for the hot season, over in baja (were I do most of my desert riding) it gets ridiculosly HOT:crazy: , and I could be crazy but I would prefer to have a fan on the bike then having to get stuck out in the desert with an overheated 450 and no cel phone signal.

We'll have to agree to disagree. It IS about incorrect jetting. I live in S. AZ. I've ridden my 450X all day in 115 + temps. Including single track and slow technical trails.

I've ridden miles and miles in El Centro--Hot and at sea level. This weekend, I rode in Baja, including doing some of the '06 Tecate Scrambles course, it wasn't hot yet, but we did a ton of very slow work.

The only guys I see boil over on a 450x, are jetted too lean or letting them sit without moving.

I ride my 450x to work a couple of days a week during the summer. I work on a military installation that does 100% ID checks. There are days that I've sat in line for an hour, in 100 + temps simpling idling down the road, and I don't boil over.

A computer fan is not cheap insurance, it's an unplanned load on the electrical system that could cause a serious failure, something a hell of a lot more difficult to fix in Baja than a boiled over radiator.

Besides, without a shroud, a comp fan is not going to pull enough air to matter anyway.

• Like 1

Richen your bike up.

220 degrees is not bad. Stock chevy aluminum motors run at 212 all day long.

This is true... my Vapor has read up towards 275 when the bike was sitting and idling for too long. Or when I was lugging it in a sand wash (I shifted down, brought the RPMs up, and immediately the bike cooled 25 degrees)

I think my average temp is just about 200-220.

I got the D00 Cooling Fan kit today. It does indeed have extra parts included that allow it to be mounted on '06 and '07 250X bikes. The '04 and '05 250X bikes have different wiring and require the original 000 kit.

I studied the '05 450X wiring diagram, and it is very similar to the '06/'07 250X diagrams, notably where the fan connects (the taillight circuit). So, it looks like the D00 kit will mount on the '05 450X at least and probably the '06 and '07 also.

The D00 kit (19000-KSC-D00) includes these extras: condenser, condenser stay, condenser guard, fan motor relay, sub-harness, and some zip-ties. There is no rectifier as was previously reported. The cooling fan, shroud, and other parts look just like the parts in the 000 kit.

Cooling Fan Kit

I am reluctant to remove everything from the protective bags and take photos because I'd like to pass this kit along to another rider and don't want to damage anything. Page 1 of the instructions is below. Links for the other three pages follow.

CF1.jpg

Other pics:

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

• Like 1

Yes, I'm selling the kit. I bought it to see the actual kit contents and see which bikes it would work on. That's all done, and the kit is available. Contact me via e-mail (PMs disabled). <ramz [at] amigo [dot] net>

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the Honda 250x fan kit from Service Honda when first available (almost 2yrs ago?). Works perfectly. As for wiring....I added a water resistent fuse holder attached to battery, a wire from there to a GM style waterproof single wire connector installed just inside the right frame rail under the gas tank. Other end of the plug connects to the wiring from the kit. You'll then need to run a ground from the radiator fan mount to bike chassis. You can either run it up the ignition coil ground or like I did to the rear mounting point for radiator guards/tank shroud.

I purchased the Honda 250x fan kit from Service Honda when first available (almost 2yrs ago?). Works perfectly. As for wiring....I added a water resistent fuse holder attached to battery, a wire from there to a GM style waterproof single wire connector installed just inside the right frame rail under the gas tank. Other end of the plug connects to the wiring from the kit. You'll then need to run a ground from the radiator fan mount to bike chassis. You can either run it up the ignition coil ground or like I did to the rear mounting point for radiator guards/tank shroud.

do you know if the 250X fan is the same size os the 450? i dont think the fan fits my bike with the IMS 3.2 gal tank.

• 5 months later...