WILLIAM! - need your wisdom

Got my new Speedhut Tach today and i'm trying to install it. as per the instructions (what u send me via email) i tried to connect the tach to the coil (white wire) but it doesn't seem to get a good signal so i need to connect the yellow wire from the tach to the cdi output, do you know which wire from the cdi is the output?

forgot to mention that i have Yoshi 11K CDI (Green wire disconnected)

No guarantees here.

The pickup coil is a Green wire and a Blue wire to the CDI.

And yes, the coil hot wire is the signal from the CDI to fire the plug. This is the wire you need to be on. The issue is most likely due to the short pulse generated by the CDI. Not having done any of this myself to a DRZ, you may be able to get it to work simply by configuring the tach internally to work with the short pulse.

Reading the instructions again (I assume the ones that came with your tach are identical) did you move the dip switches accordingly?

Also, the DRZ white wire is a positive pulse I would believe as the bike is a negative ground.

Did you read this thread?

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304760

Specifically the stuff posted by mrriggs?

Lastly, if the above does not work, you can connect the Yellow wire to the tach to the coil HT lead, at least that is what I read into it. But this is an absolute last resort and I would probably not do it at all. I would confirm this via email to speedhut before attempting.

ok, got it to work - actually its VERY simple, i did a mistake (as you thought) with setting the Rev# per spark in the tach itself.

anyways, THIS IS A COOL WORKING TACH!!!

I'm very happy - will post later on today a full write up with pics and video.

Thanks again william - as always, you did good!! :applause:

Operation is smooth and steady? After my reading up on this tach, they had insinuated it was a sensitive unit which lead me to think it was capable of reading the DRZ CDI pulse. Glad to know it works fine. I though factory default on it was a single pulse per rev.

Is it waterproof? That was one bit of info I did not find.

I appreciate the kudos. I try to do good. :applause:

That is awesome. I've been busy and haven't had the time to look further into the tach issue...

Great to know it's working out for you :applause:

Like William said do a complete 'how to' when you have the time.

My DRZ has been out for 3 weeks but I am getting back into this asap.

i'm fine. thx.

the bike got beaten - all the front is borken... headlight & speedo totally shattered, handlebar (rental fat bar) bent as well.

on my way back home there's a place with a small jump where i use to jump over it and landed on the front wheel for a rolling stoppie... this time it went wrong and i flipped over... bummer.

anyways, i hope i can fix the Tach... and for now i will put back the stock headlight & handlebar - re speedo... i guess i'll ride without one now.

i'm fine. thx.

the bike got beaten - all the front is borken... headlight & speedo totally shattered, handlebar (rental fat bar) bent as well.

on my way back home there's a place with a small jump where i use to jump over it and landed on the front wheel for a rolling stoppie... this time it went wrong and i flipped over... bummer.

anyways, i hope i can fix the Tach... and for now i will put back the stock headlight & handlebar - re speedo... i guess i'll ride without one now.

That sounds nutty! :applause:

Glad you okay, and you can fix the bike, maybe a trail tech for a speedo??

think i'm gonna go with the vapor (has a tach no? hahaha) i removed all the broken pieces and put back the stock head light (ugly as hell) and to my pleasant surprise i found that the handle bar didn't band just the bar mounting... fixed that as well.

so after all the bike is running now and that's the most impotent thing for me.

Oh man that blows! I'm real sorry about what happened to you.

At least you're OK and got the bike running again.

Hope you get it back to where you want soon!

thx buddy. i hope so too. at least i didn't get used to it so i'm don't feel like i lost anything... does it make any sense??

thx buddy. i hope so too. at least i didn't get used to it so i'm don't feel like i lost anything... does it make any sense??

Yes it does make sense... at least for people with a somehow twisted sense of logic :applause:

Does the tach still works? Hope you can get away with just having it refurbished like William suggested...

Yes it does make sense... at least for people with a somehow twisted sense of logic :applause:

Does the tach still works? Hope you can get away with just having it refurbished like William suggested...

takes one to know one?

i sent an email to speephut first thing this morning, asking them to send me a new plastic cover for it, my guess is that it will work - didn't try it yet since i was busy with getting the bike back for riding.

from the start i put my eye on an analogue tach, no matter what digital display i can get, such as the vapor, it will never satisfy me., i'll have the vapor but not for the tach of it. the reason is when i was a child i saw the movie Mad Max - i can safely say it was a mile stone in my life, so just analogue for me! i even put one on my first mx, 82 Yamaha yz490 - i was 16 years old, guess how long it took me to crash that one?

still smile when i see that movie