Sign in to follow this  

Bar Replacement on DRZ400S

I just orders some new renthals for my DRZ and I'm wondering about a few things when I replace the bars.

• Gonna change grips during the bar swap. Will I have to replace my throttle tube when I pull the controls off the right side? Seems like lots of people just end up replacing the throttle tube instead of pulling the old grip off and installing a new one on the throttle side.
  • Do I need to use grip glue when installing the new grips? I have access to an air compressor so I'm wondering if I can use it to install the new grips dry instead of using glue. I have been using this dry method on my mountain bike for years and have never had a grip loosen up even in the rain.
  • Speaking of throttle tubes... are there any complications when pulling the throttle side controls off/on and putting a new grip on the throttle tube? I have not pulled one off before so I don't know what to expect as far as the cables are concerned.

- No, you can still use the old throttle tube.

- You don't HAVE to but you should use something. I use hairspray (Aquanet extra hold). That's what I've been using on my bmx, mtn and motorcycles for over 20 yrs. I never used grip glue so I can't comment on that.

- Install the throttle tube first before you try to replace the grips.

Another option to using hairspray to get the grips on, is to use Windex (or like). The soap helps the grips slide on real easy and when the alcohol dries, the grips really stick to the bars. :applause:

It's the same principle with hair spray but it sticks much better when it dries.

Be forewarned that the stock throttle side grip is bonded to the throttle tube. Not much joy in the process of removing it, and that's why many people go with a new tube.

My TAG CR Hi bars came with news grips and a new throttle tube.

:applause:

Should I be worried about the cable connections to the throttle tube when I take it off? I have not pulled a throttle tube off before so I have no clue how the cables attach to the tube. If it's straight forward I should have no worries.

I'm just envisioning an odd winding of the cables around the bars. Old school grip shift shifters for bikes used to have a crazy double cable wind pattern that was really annoying so I wondering if that kind of situation goes on with the throttle cables on the motorcycle.

hi schleppy:

When I changed my bars, I had to carve off the old grip from the throttle tube with a utility knife - it was well bonded.

After that, the throttle tube slipped off without disconnecting the cables - its possible you may have enough slack to do this.

Good luck!

hi schleppy:

When I changed my bars, I had to carve off the old grip from the throttle tube with a utility knife - it was well bonded.

After that, the throttle tube slipped off without disconnecting the cables - its possible you may have enough slack to do this.

Good luck!

carve...........YOU SAID CARVE?????:lol: Dang, you Canuks:canada: are good with a knife for sure!:applause::lol:

Mine was such a PITA that I actually had to take the old shop grinder to it. :lol:

MMmmmmm, I just love the smell of burning rubber at 1030 in the evening...............that would be 2230 on the 24 Hour Clock, but that's in a different Post.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479491&highlight=24+hour+clock

Happy Riding !!

:eek::naughty:

You can try compressed air under the grip to break the glue seal, inflate the grip like a balloon then twist it off. I worked for me. Did the reverse to put them back on.

Should I be worried about the cable connections to the throttle tube when I take it off?

It's a piece of cake, as Bobby suggested.

Just pay attention to how the cables are wrapped around the tube when you open up the cable spool housing.

:applause: