Sign in to follow this  

The (not so) little race that could in Grand Junction

Howdy All,

Thought I would pass along the information regarding our local spring race out here in Grand Junction. I think it is a pretty good event. There is good competition, and classes for everyone. I don't think the classes on the flier are accurate though.

The fun part about this race is the washes that it goes up, and down. You can "G" out you suspension riding some of the walls (berms) at speed. There are some wide open spots, and there are some tight washes to ride in. Some natural jumps, and a good mix of terain. If you have riden in Grand Junction you know what I am talking about.

There is a pretty good contingent of local talent that shows up to this race. These guys are quick, if not fast. Chase Burbidge won the race last year. Eric Rhotin won in 2005. The race has been around for quite a few years and usually has anywhere from 100-200 riders show up including women, minis, and men (men after the minis ha ha)

IF you happen to need a place to camp there is plenty of camping available, and you can get a gear hauler, RV to the site really easy. There will be ambulance service available if you happen to need it...(wink, wink). This is a really friendly "kids" race. The terrain is such that if your kid takes a digger (or you for that matter) the ground is pretty soft, and forgiving. The kids course is 2-3 miles long. And your kids have plenty of room to ride while camping. The area is all "open travel management" east of 27 1/4 rd. I hope to see you all out there. It really is a fun event.

If I find an updated entry form I will post it. I look forward to meeting you all out there. I will be the guy in the novice class DFL.

Regards,

TJ

raceform2.jpg

I'm interested. I've been meaning to get out to the western slope and do some riding.

Since my work blocks half of what is out there, I can't see the flier.

So, when is the race?

I'm interested. I've been meaning to get out to the western slope and do some riding.

So, when is the race?

The Race is April 1st. Send me a PM with your E-mail and I will send you a copy of the flier in .jpg format.

Regards,

TJ

So, when is the race?

Possibly we could set up some sort of a car pool system if we decide to go. I have a trailer that we could use as well. It's not enclosed but it'll hold 6-8 bikes. So space would not be an issue.

Maybe next year, I plan on taking my son out there on April 6th for his 16th birthday and ride. We love GJ, it is our favorite place to go.

Possibly we could set up some sort of a car pool system if we decide to go. I have a trailer that we could use as well. It's not enclosed but it'll hold 6-8 bikes. So space would not be an issue.

Yeh, I'll talk to the boss.

TJ,

I added it to the events listing on the www.dirtridersofcolorado.com website for you.

Just let me know of any events you have comming up and I will be glad to post them.

It sounds like it will be a great race! :applause:

Thank You Very Much. We appreciate that. Race is really a great time. The conditions are really good in the spring over here on the "western slope" for this kind of event. It would be cool if we could arrange a TT gathering for the same weekend at the same location. There is some good singletrack to ride out there. One just needs to find a local to show them where it is.

Regards,

TJ

Thank You Very Much. We appreciate that. Race is really a great time. The conditions are really good in the spring over here on the "western slope" for this kind of event. It would be cool if we could arrange a TT gathering for the same weekend at the same location. There is some good singletrack to ride out there. One just needs to find a local to show them where it is.

Regards,

TJ

That would be great. My wife could do some mtn biking in rabbit valley, and I could have fun. :applause:

Factually, I would welcome someone showing me around the area. I've heard a lot of good things about it, unlike those areas that don't exist or were moved to Kansas and are still snowed in.

That would be great. My wife could do some mtn biking in rabbit valley, and I could have fun. :applause:

Factually, I would welcome someone showing me around the area. I've heard a lot of good things about it, unlike those areas that don't exist or were moved to Kansas and are still snowed in.

She could mountainbike out at 18rd in the Mountainbike area. Sweet mountainbike trails, and Sweet motorized trails to the east. check out www.gjmountainbiking.com for more info on 18 rd. The lunch loop (Tabaguache), and Loma are good to go too.

Regards,

TJ

Would we be able to come the day before and ride the loop?

The area is on open BLM land. When you come is up to you. The only thing you will not be able to ride is the MX track portion of the course.

Since it is the same course as last year, and there is not an official preview, then I would imagine you could ride the course the day before since it is located on open public lands. I am not a race official, so I do not know for sure.

Regards,

TJ

I've done this race a couple times, it is fun. I am hoping to be back again this year! It looks like there will be 250f's in the 125 class this year, oh well, I guess the more competition the better!

Thanks for posting the flier Red Rock. I have been waiting for it. My wife has been wanting to try racing, but wanted a womans-only class, less intimidation. Now it sounds like I have to get two bikes ready!:applause:

I would be more than happy to show anyone around out there

I'm sure the guy that one last year, CHASE, would do it too, i usually ride with him on sundays and mondays