Sign in to follow this  

Rear Shock / How can you tell?

I recently sold my DRZ400 and bought a real nice KTM 450 and all is great. However I spoke with the owner of the DRZ yesterday and found out from him that the rear shock was completely shot and had to be rebuilt. I was a little surprised because I was not aware of the problem. So it got me thinking, how can one tell if the rear shock is shot?

A rear shock should generally be rebuilt at least once a year. Over time the bike will begin to handle worse and worse. It is one of those things that is hard to explain.

oil leaking out would be the most common as the seal would be bad. It's possible that components on the inside could go bad if it was never serviced.

Ya there was no leaking that I was ever aware of and I kept a close eye on everything.

Rebound speed and dampening would be the obvious things to check for, if the seal is blown completely the rear would feel like a pogo stick just riding on the spring.

If you make drastic clicker changes and it does not change how the rear end reacts then the shock is ready for a rebuild.