Getting creative with an SM Speedo

Im trying to get a little creative in solving my current speedo issue. Basically, the stock speedo cable and gearbox is in tact, but the new wheels (Marchesinis) do not have the mechnical portion like the stock SM ones to on the hub to turn the gearbox.

So....Im wondering if there is any way to creatively keep the stock speedo/odo and computer by chanigning the reading from mechanical to magnetic??

Basically somehow converting the signal?

Or....possibly machiening something and attatching it to the wheel to mate with the speedo gearbox?? I thought of having a spacer made but I dont think the spacer spins does it?

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

If ya switch that out I need an SM gearbox for my S model with 17 inch wheels..Let me know..I know there are magnetic drive units but I am not sure if you can mix your stock unit with a magnetic p/u at the wheel.

Anything is possible. The speedo cable goes into the OEM speedo. In there the rotary action of the cable is converted in pulses. I have not taken one apart so I do not know what method is employed, be it a Hall Effect (which I doubt) a slotted disk (probable) or some other method.

Reverse engineering from stock will tell you the relationship of one rotation of the tire to one rotation of the cable. I would think then a magnetic sensor on the disk rotor, through a digital converter would yield the correct pulse(s) per rotation. This method could provide the added benefit of being able to calibrate your speed dispalyed, then you would use the existing function to correct the odometer portion.

Another solution would be to contact Marchesini and see if they can provide a drive unit. Then a speedo shop could get you the gears if need be. Lastly would be the cable but there are places about that will custom make you a cable.

Food for thought

The easy solution is to go & buy an Endurance Model Trail Tech that allows you to program it to switch between 2 bikes. Bike 1 would be your DRZ with 21" wheel, and then Bike 2 would be your DRZ with 17" wheel.

Check out their comparison chart............AND NO, the Vapor doesn't have a 2 bike setup:

http://trailtech.net/computer_comparison.html

I sure hope this helps you out!!

Happy Riding !!

:applause:?

I personnaly don't care for the trailtech stuff at all.

I find the displays to be quite unreadeable, keys are too small, too many functions and a flimsy plastic mount.

I have an endurance on my E and it's going direct in the circular file when I upgrade the bike.

I am going for a nice ANALOG tach like the Shindy or Speedhut units (a needle and a white background) plus a digital speedo with magnetic pickup with big display (I'm sure Sigma Sports / Cateye or someone else will have one I like).

My 02 cents as usual (and they are SM oriented!)

I personnaly don't care for the trailtech stuff at all.

I find the displays to be quite unreadeable, keys are too small, too many functions and a flimsy plastic mount.

I have an endurance on my E and it's going direct in the circular file when I upgrade the bike.

I am going for a nice ANALOG tach like the Shindy or Speedhut units (a needle and a white background) plus a digital speedo with magnetic pickup with big display (I'm sure Sigma Sports / Cateye or someone else will have one I like).

My 02 cents as usual (and they are SM oriented!)

I had an endurance before, and agree with your comments on it.

The vapour however is a lot more substantial than the endurance. The screen is very readble with a great back light, and the speed reading is the main focus. The rev's show as a rising scale across the top, and also very readable.

All other features are secondary but easily accesable through large buttons that you can easily use with winter gloves on.

The bracket is also substantially made out of aluminium, and very good.

I was thinking of going with the Vapor as well.

If I did, does anyone know what functions I would loose from stock? For example, Neutral indicator light, High bean indicator etc. I dont care about em, but I want the bike to be able to be sold and those are issues that may come up.

As well, how is the installation?

I was thinking of going with the Vapor as well.

If I did, does anyone know what functions I would loose from stock? For example, Neutral indicator light, High bean indicator etc. I dont care about em, but I want the bike to be able to be sold and those are issues that may come up.

As well, how is the installation?

I am good mechanically but fairly crap electrically. Still I found fitment to be a breeze. Took about an hour though I used the bracket without the warning lights (just a straight housing). If you require all the lights, you can get this bracket

022-PDA_450.jpg

http://www.trailtechproducts.co.uk/store/erol.html

This is for the UK site, but I am sure you will find it even more freely available in the US

I think the Endurance is for riders who are really into off road and just need speedo to stay 'street legal' and want something small to resist off road tumbles.

The Vapor looks ideal for dual sport but for SM I'd still go with an analog display tach.

Maybe it's just me (I'm just too old to change my ways) but reading a digital tach takes a fraction of a second too long.

The needle still works best for me in a SM/track configuration.

I think keeping the indictator lights is a good idea if resale is a concern.

• 10 months later...
I am good mechanically but fairly crap electrically. Still I found fitment to be a breeze. Took about an hour though I used the bracket without the warning lights (just a straight housing). If you require all the lights, you can get this bracket

022-PDA_450.jpg

http://www.trailtechproducts.co.uk/store/erol.html

This is for the UK site, but I am sure you will find it even more freely available in the US

what method did you use to get the pick up for the tach?

I connected the Red wire from the Vapor to the White wire at the coil, and the Black from the Vapor to ground at the coil.

+1 :cool:

I haven't been out with mine yet but I like the vapor and it's functions. It looks like a pretty good unit. As for readability, I am going from a garmin etrex that I run off batteries. I am waaay ahead now.

• 2 months later...

how the hell do you mount the magent on the wheel? I have the endurance computer.

Here is picture of my wheel. I tried sticking a fridgerator magnet in the disk, but no luck. Maybe i can somehow mount the magnet on the rim or near the rim?

And how far away can the snesor be from the magnet?

Here is a cellpic of my wheel.

78f1c12c55e0.jpg?_rh=eaiix98qlxhffpbv0u4s77pi

the dangly wire on the right is the wire that goes to the omputer with the magnet sensor on the other end.

On my dirt wheels I replaced the bolt with the TT one. On my SM wheels I drilled part way through housing (not the rotor) then used JB weld to hold the magnet in place. Both are approximately the same radius so I don't move the pick up when I change wheels.

The actual pickup I made an aluminium support (essentially a block slotted for the band and tapped for the pickup screw) which I hold in place with the standard stainless steel band clamp. I did put shrink wrap on the band and painted the screw matte black. Looks professional. I have around 150 street miles and 50 dirt miles works great.

:prof: