Sign in to follow this  

CIRCLIPS?cylinder? the best way.

im trying to get a few different ideas on the best way to put my piston back in my bike and putting the cylinder over it.also is there any tricks that will help in putting the FREAKIN circlips in without them flying away...and does it really matter if you run motorcycle specific oil in my tranny or is 10-w-40 from autozone?napa ok. and last,do i have to lube the sleeve walls with premix before insallation of the piston and if so how much lightly/?? thanks alot,patcap.

o.k first things first get a rag that will completely cover the crank/ports/cooling ports etc, so if the circlip does go for a ride it wont end up in your cases! Second push the rod to the bottom of the stroke, then on the "bench" install one of the circlips then install the top end bearing w/ oil (I use motor oil 10w 40 or what ever). After that, install the piston pin through the piston and rod. Now insert the circlip on a 45 deg. angle into the groove of the piston use a small pick to help the rest pop into the groove the pick will give you leverage and it will also guide the circlip in. MAKE SURE ITS IN THE GROOVE ALL THE WAY AROUND THE PISTON.

What Jamas said.

I use a pair of needlenose pliers on the circlips...put one end of the clip into the groove and then carefully compress/twist it with the pliers until it is in place.

Lightly lube everything with oil (I use premix oil) for reassembly. Make sure that the rings are lined up with the locator pins in the ring slots of the piston or you will not be able to compress them while sliding the cylinder on.

...and does it really matter if you run motorcycle specific oil in my tranny or is 10-w-40 from autozone?napa ok.

The Great Oil Debate. If you change your oil OFTEN then you will be 'ok' with regular motor oil, however, you need to understand that motorcycle transmissions differ from car engines in two very drastic ways. First, the bikes have a wet clutch which contaminates the oil very quickly as the friction plates wear. Secondly, you have gears in there and gears put a much different load on oils...typical automotive oils will shear out of viscosity rather quickly when used as a gear lube.

Also...if you insist on using non-motorcycle specific oils be sure that you do not use an oil with 'friction modifiers'...these oils are too 'slippery' and will make your clutch slip.

Three suggestions: Rotella 15w-40 is a relatively inexpensive non-synthetic oil that has a very good additive package and works well with clutches. Rekluse actually recommends this oil. It needs to be changed often (every 4-6 hours of use). $9.00 - 10.00 per gallon

Mobile 1 Racing 4T 10w-40: Fully synthetic motorcycle specific oil that will hold it's viscosity well. About $8.00/qt

Amsoil MCF: Fully synthetic motorcycle specific oil that will hold it's viscosity well. About $8.00 - 9.00/qt

The Great Oil Debate. If you change your oil OFTEN then you will be 'ok' with regular motor oil, however, you need to understand that motorcycle transmissions differ from car engines in two very drastic ways. First, the bikes have a wet clutch which contaminates the oil very quickly as the friction plates wear. Secondly, you have gears in there and gears put a much different load on oils...typical automotive oils will shear out of viscosity rather quickly when used as a gear lube.

Also...if you insist on using non-motorcycle specific oils be sure that you do not use an oil with 'friction modifiers'...these oils are too 'slippery' and will make your clutch slip.

Three suggestions: Rotella 15w-40 is a relatively inexpensive non-synthetic oil that has a very good additive package and works well with clutches. Rekluse actually recommends this oil. It needs to be changed often (every 4-6 hours of use). $9.00 - 10.00 per gallon

Mobile 1 Racing 4T 10w-40: Fully synthetic motorcycle specific oil that will hold it's viscosity well. About $8.00/qt

Amsoil MCF: Fully synthetic motorcycle specific oil that will hold it's viscosity well. About $8.00 - 9.00/qt

thanks man the thing to do is change it all the time and keep it clean and the brand of oil shouldnt matter too much,thanks again,patcap

o.k first things first get a rag that will completely cover the crank/ports/cooling ports etc, so if the circlip does go for a ride it wont end up in your cases! Second push the rod to the bottom of the stroke, then on the "bench" install one of the circlips then install the top end bearing w/ oil (I use motor oil 10w 40 or what ever). After that, install the piston pin through the piston and rod. Now insert the circlip on a 45 deg. angle into the groove of the piston use a small pick to help the rest pop into the groove the pick will give you leverage and it will also guide the circlip in. MAKE SURE ITS IN THE GROOVE ALL THE WAY AROUND THE PISTON.

right on,thats the ticket,do the wiseco's come with any extra circlips?...take care,patcap

right on,thats the ticket,do the wiseco's come with any extra circlips?...take care,patcap

They only come with 2, also don't use the old ones!