Sign in to follow this  

Shindy Tachometer?

I have been looking to put a tach on my bike sence I got it sence suzuki didnt put one on factory, I found (shindy makes one threw dennis kirk) It says it fit the E modle, i am looking to put it on a SM modle any difference?....Has anyone used one of these?, i am mainly looking at it just for the tach....

I have a Shindy Daytona Tach. It works with either the s, e, k, or sm. The pick up is wired to + lead of the coil.

The rpm is updated about every half second and the display is backlit. The numbers on the display are big and easy to read at a glance, and whole unit is pretty small. It works well if you only want a tach display.

The only problem I found is that the internal battery holding the settings (clock, max rpm recorded, run time, and pulse count) is non-replacable. The instruction claims the battery gets charged when in operation, but my battery died in the tach and wouldn't recharge. But it doesn't present a real problem since the default setting works on single cyclinder.

I have a Shindy Daytona Tach. It works with either the s, e, k, or sm. The pick up is wired to + lead of the coil.

The rpm is updated about every half second and the display is backlit. The numbers on the display are big and easy to read at a glance, and whole unit is pretty small. It works well if you only want a tach display.

The only problem I found is that the internal battery holding the settings (clock, max rpm recorded, run time, and pulse count) is non-replacable. The instruction claims the battery gets charged when in operation, but my battery died in the tach and wouldn't recharge. But it doesn't present a real problem since the default setting works on single cyclinder.

How much$ and where to get one?

Thanks

There shouldn't be a problem making either the digital or analog Shindy (Daytona) tach work on the SM. Shindy's catalog describes them as universal, suitable for all electronic ignitions (not points types) two and four stoke engines. The biggest problem will be finding a place to mount it with the SM instrument panel in place.

To avoid the battery discharge problem mentioned by coconutmilk, you might want to get the analog tach (it uses the bike's battery). Personally, I do better glancing down at a needle on a round face than reading numerals on a digital display while on the road. Here's a link to the Shindy catalog:

http://www.shindypro.com/catalog/each_q_ptype.key24.html

How much$ and where to get one?

Thanks

Dennis Kirk sells them $142 for the complete tach+speedo+indicator lights. $138 for the tach only.

They're not the cheapest outlet but they price match.

Just type Shindy in the search field and it will display all their units in the electrical section.

I installed a Trailtech Vapor. It has a tach and a few other features (like 12/24 clock :applause:). Cheaper than the Shindy. With all the extras, it was about the same ($150)

I like that analog...15K RPM

Too bad they don't have price on it.

Any ideas of difficulty to install?

For the money get a Trailtech. Digital Rev counter with sweep, speedo, temp, clock, backlight and more for roughly the same cash!