Sign in to follow this  

What Tire Size?

Hi All,

First just wanted to say hello to the group and this wonderful forum. I bought a 04 DRZ-S last year with 15 miles on it. It wouldn't run well, Eddie gave me some tips and after that it has run like a top (seems like it sitting for 2 years had plugged up the carb). My goal was to run it for the year to see how I liked it then start with the mods if I did. Well I love it and its mod time and time to start ordering stuff.

Anyways, I have a question regarding tires. I read all of the discussion on tires and I am either going to pick up the 606's or MT21's. What size should I get for the rear?

606: 120/90-18 or 130/90-18?

MT21: 140/80-18?

Thanks in advance for any input.

I would go with either 120 or 110 in the rear and nothing bigger. I have the crazy ass Teraflex on mine right now and it is a 150 and it has great traction, but is just to damn heavy and I really can't wait to put a lighter Kenda Trackmaster 760 on next. The only problem is this Teraflex does look like it will last forever and I don't know if I can wait that long. Really it is all trial and error to see what you really like yourself, but I would say start with a 110 or 120.

He's right...Big is not always better.

A 120/100 is the best size in my opinion.

Going big sounds like a good idea in theory, but it can really screw up your handling.

If you do a lot of sand or mud riding, a bigger tire is a good idea. For everything else the 120/100 wil be a much better tire.

I'm a big fan of the Kenda K760, too.

Thanks for the replys.

I live in Western NY where mud is common. I do see that many people like the Kenda 760's but I didn't see it in a larger size (hence my question). I may just give that a try though and see.

Dhasso

I have been running a 110/100 Maxxis Desert IT on my S. They hold up well in rocky terrain, and have a stout carcass with good rim protection. I ran them for about 100 mi on the road and they do not seem to be wearing quickly or chunking.

The 120/90 conversion to a knobby is the 110/100. The next size larger is the 120/100 which is for the open class bikes (650's). With a CV carb the S models need a smaller tire so they can spin it to get the revs up/clean the mud out. Anything bigger would be counter productive.

Cheers,

Doug

• Like 1

I have been running a 110/100 Maxxis Desert IT on my S. They hold up well in rocky terrain, and have a stout carcass with good rim protection. I ran them for about 100 mi on the road and they do not seem to be wearing quickly or chunking.

The 120/90 conversion to a knobby is the 110/100. The next size larger is the 120/100 which is for the open class bikes (650's). With a CV carb the S models need a smaller tire so they can spin it to get the revs up/clean the mud out. Anything bigger would be counter productive.

Cheers,

Doug

:thumbsup:

Thank you DOUG!!!! I ran a 120/80/18 on my XR650L and I was always the guy out there with the skinniest rear tire, but usually faster than 90% of the guys running 130s/140s. I couldn't decide whether the 120 or 110 was the way to go for the DRZ but it looks like I'll go with a 110:applause:

Thanks for the replys.

I live in Western NY where mud is common. I do see that many people like the Kenda 760's but I didn't see it in a larger size (hence my question). I may just give that a try though and see.

Dhasso

Where in WNY are you? I'm in Buffalo.