Sign in to follow this  

A little help from my friends . . . KTM vs. Honda

Hi all,

I'm a new rider in CA and have a question about which bike to buy. First the my stats so you know where I'm coming from. I'm 35, 5-8 165 a novice rider (but have been riding mtb's for the past 17 years). I mostly ride offroad, but would like to try some track riding (Zaca Station is 10 minutes from my house). I'm currently on a '05 Kawasaki KLX300R which I've highly modified (pipe, jet kit, suspension, etc.) but find it lacking and don't see myself keeping very much longer.

So I'm looking at getting a new 2007 bike and have narrowed it down between two bikes, the Honda CRF250X, and the KTM250XCF. I would consider some of KTM's 2 stroke bikes (like the 200XC) but since I ride year round I want something that I can get green stickered. I'm partial to the KTM (that's why I'm posting in the KTM forum) but don't really know what's best for me. Also, for a progressing beginner is the KTM 250xcf/w a better choice for a newbie?

Thanks.

I say get the 250xcf. Its a SWEET bike! don't have to worry about the problems you would usually have with Honda.

I love that. "The problems you would usually have with Honda". Beautiful. Those damned Honda's with their crappy Showa suspension and outdated aluminum frames.

I love that. "The problems you would usually have with Honda". Beautiful. Those damned Honda's with their crappy Showa suspension and outdated aluminum frames.

Claws are out. Reeeoowww!! Tsss tsss!!

This is the SX-F forum you might want to post in the XC, XC-W blah blah blah forum to get more responses.

I seriously looked into a CRF250 before buying my 250SXF. I really wanted to try out the famous Honda suspension, but after researching it, determined the KTM was a much more reliable motor, mostly with the top end. (yes, I'm sure there are some individual results that vary) However the X may be different, SS valves, less aggresive cam that may help that.

The KTM is probably easier to to maintenance on, because of the steel frame. I'm assuming the 'X' has e-start, so that's a wash.

I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Unless you just get a lemon, I can't imagine getting either one and being unhappy. I've done research on the KTM motor and can't give you reason not to get it. So if your partial to KTM's, get it.