Sign in to follow this  

The mojave road

A couple friends and I are going to ride the mojave road next weekend

3-17/3-18. Has anyone rode it lately, or at all? Ive done some reading on it and the thing that worrys me is the water crossings and soda lake. I hear they can get pretty deep and if soda lake is even a little muddy dont even try it. We want to do as little blacktop as possible and avoid going around. Is it really going to be that bad since we have'nt had much rain at all? :applause: Any info is appreciated.

A couple friends and I are going to ride the mojave road next weekend

3-17/3-18. Has anyone rode it lately, or at all? Ive done some reading on it and the thing that worrys me is the water crossings and soda lake. I hear they can get pretty deep and if soda lake is even a little muddy dont even try it. We want to do as little blacktop as possible and avoid going around. Is it really going to be that bad since we have'nt had much rain at all? :applause: Any info is appreciated.

I haven't been out there this year, but I would guess that the lakebed will be fine. Just don't go off the "road" when crossing the lake. I think that there is one water crossing in Afton canyon that is unavoidable. Last time I was there I was not to bad. If someone does get a waterlogged boot, just stop there and let them dry off.

If the lakebed is wet, it's pretty easy to get around. Just go up through Zzyxx to the 15 and over to Baker and catch Kelbaker road back to the Mojave Road. Pavement time is minimal.

Crossing at Afton was very easy last year and the year before. Almost flat. But in previous years it has been up to two feet deep. I haven't been there this year, so couldn't tell you how it is now, other than we haven't had a whole lot of rain, so it's probably not too bad.

If you are sketchy about water crossings, walk your bike across it. Unless you are there right after a rain, it usually isn't moving or anything. It's pretty much stagnant.

Fun ride. Did it last year with a group of about 14 from our club. Lots and lots of sand washes. You will ride so many miles of deep sand it will get tiresome. Be sure you have plenty of water and food. When we got to Laughlin it felt great, and the next morning we were all fired up for the ride home. Added some detours to make it not just a repeat of the ride out. Enjoy. :applause:

I was just out there at the end of January. Here is Afton Cyn. I've crossed this many times and it never seems to change in depth.

Laughlin07078.jpg

The lake bed was fine.

Iam looking for gps tracking for the mojave trail plan on riding it next week

Turbo993, the gps track is on the internet in a few places like gpsxchange, or send me a PM with your real e-mail address and I can send it to you in a Garmin .gpx format.

I was just out there at the end of January. Here is Afton Cyn. I've crossed this many times and it never seems to change in depth.

Laughlin07078.jpg

The lake bed was fine.

Docmarkw, hey great picture. Is your bike back together???