Sign in to follow this  

Kick starter for CRF150/230 electric start

Who knows if I can install kick start mechanism on the electric start models of CRF150/230? I'd like to have a back-up start system as we are taking them around the world. Many places batteries are not available should we have problems. Kick start would be useful in event of battery failure.

Jimdajet

Engines are totally different, will not work.

Around the world huh, sounds like fun, how did you make them float. But seriously, where are you going, share your trip with us?

Who knows if I can install kick start mechanism on the electric start models of CRF150/230? I'd like to have a back-up start system as we are taking them around the world. Many places batteries are not available should we have problems. Kick start would be useful in event of battery failure.

Jimdajet

your best bet would to carry an extra battery as the only way to get the kickstart would be to swap the whole motor.

I just put the wifes bike in 3rd and run beside it and it fires right up. No need for a kick start as long as your not stuck down in a big deep ditch or something, where you can't push it.

I asked my dealer about this because some months ago I was plaining to remove the battery and starter and put a kick starter but my dealer said that it cannot be made until I change the whole motor for a 03, 04 or 05 engine.

The only backup starting system I'm aware of that works on these bikes is the good old fashioned push start. Difficult in some situations I know, but it's cheap!

You can modify the CRF230 to have kick start but it is not cheap or easy. The engine will have to be totally disassembled and a complete transmission from either a CRF150(5 speed) or XR200(6 speed) installed.

All of the ancilliary trans parts(start shaft, kickstart gears, etc) would also be needed/purchased depending on which one you pick.

You will also need the clutch cover and kick start lever as well. The stock cover could be modified, but it would be easier and cheaper to purchase the CRF150 cover.

A used CRF150 engine just went for @$400 on e-bay. A purchase like that would be your best bet to aquire all of the necessary parts

It can be done. It all depends on just how much you want kick start. $$$