Sign in to follow this  

Pushing coolant

The problem I'm having is that I keep pushing coolant into and out of the reservoir bottle. I keep having to add coolant because the radiator is low. I bleed the system and fill it to the top, when I go for a ride the bottle get's filled up and spews coolant. What do you think? Head gasket? Other then this all else seems to be normal.

Hmmmm...

I'm sure Eddie will step in here if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but it sounds like a clogged t-stat or another obstruction within the cooling system.

When a t-stat fails it usually just stays wide open. But it's possible something is causing an obstruction.

You could try pulling the t-stat, and see if the problem persists.

:applause:

It is normal for a certain amount of coolant to make it's way in and out of the overflow rez from time to time, however.

Stuck thermostat?? What model DRZ?

After a ride, do you let it cool off and does the coolant get sucked back in like itis supposed to? Or is the overflow tak fillijng to capacity and spewing? Are the lines from the radiator to the tank tight and leak proof?

When a t-stat fails it usually just stays wide open.

You must be luckier than me... in my years of driving I seem to always find the ones that stick shut... which is much more a PITA.

Stuck thermostat?? What model DRZ?

After a ride, do you let it cool off and does the coolant get sucked back in like itis supposed to? Or is the overflow tak fillijng to capacity and spewing? Are the lines from the radiator to the tank tight and leak proof?

all true.............if it's not doing this, you might have a clog somewhere & open heart surgery might be required :eek:

if rad fluid isn't showing up in the oil, it might be a simple fix..........thermostat or rad cap most likely.

have you tried putting your thermostat into a pot of water on the stove with the temp on high & watching for when it opens up as the water temp heats up on the stove?....stick a thermometer into the water to measure the temp that it opens up at.

....better send your wife out to the mall first!! :applause:

Hope this helps!!

Happy Riding !!

:lol: :lol:

It's a 06 SM with a 485 kit, I have not taken it apart at all to check it. When I bleed the system and fill the radiators the bottle has just a little in it. I then ride it to work (40 miles) and the bottle is filled and overflowed coolant out. After cool down it tends to suck about half the bottle back in. But it is still pushing more out then it is sucking back in.

sounds head gasket to me.

you know what im going to say from here about the 95.5mm bore size.

sorry, to hear it.

i do have a particular gasket prep method that may help avoid the failure next time around.

its pretty basic.

go to the auto parts store and get a can of peramtex brand "copper coat".

its like a copper spray paint.

do about 3 light coats on the new head gasket and let it dry well.

use new head bolts and lube the threads and washers well so you get a nice smooth accurate tq reading.

its pretty basic.

go to the auto parts store and get a can of peramtex brand "copper coat".

its like a copper spray paint.

do about 3 light coats on the new head gasket and let it dry well.

use new head bolts and lube the threads and washers well so you get a nice smooth accurate tq reading.

That's exactly what we did to 4cyl Alfa Romeo's to cure their head gasket problems!

I agree it could definitely be a head gasket, but I would, for giggles, replace the radiator cap first. Its a very cheap attempt, and very well could cause the same symptoms.

Sticking t-stat would cause the temp light to come on, I would think.