Sign in to follow this  

Help with front brake pads.

Hi,

I just acquired a 2002 520 EXC and the front brake squeals like a pig. I purchased some new galfer pads and want to know if anybody knows a good source that explains how to change them. I didn't get a manual with the bike.

Thanks for your help.

It's easy. pull the cotter pin and then pull the straight pin out. the pads will fall out. (watch which way they went in) the only trick to getting in the new ones in is to push the brake pad cylinder in to make room for the thicker pad (may have to lever it in with a screwdriver - but be careful not to puncture the dust boot) then install. You don't have to take off the wheel. Takes about 5 min.

Yup, easiest maintenance on the bike! Just follow RayIn's instructions and you'll be done in minutes.

Hint. When removing the old pads, before you remove any pins securing the pads; slide a screwdriver in-between the old pad and the disc. Apply firm but gentle pressure to drive the fluid out of the cylinder and back into the reservoir. This hint allows you to perform the swapping of the brake pads with zero chance of damaging the cylinder, dust boot, or disc during replacement.

The Galfer pads are pretty soft and may not squeel like others. Just don't put them on the rear. I cooked a set in one ride. I think they're made out of oatmeal.

Edit: I need to correct myself. It was Vesrah pads I used that were like oatmeal. Galfer are probably higher quality.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I changed the pads today following your instructions and it did take about 5 minutes and no more squeal.