Sign in to follow this  

just wondering.

i was reading a forum on wiesco pistons and i guess there is a high compression piston and a standard piston u can choose from. now if u choose to run the high compression piston do u have to upgrade anything else or do u have to run a higher octane of a fuel? just curious:excuseme:

Wiseone will probably chim in on this, but this is my best understanding.

Standard piston = Change nothing.

High Comp. piston = Possible need for higher octane gas with some pinging or detonation, more compression will put more wear and tear on other parts because you have increased the stress level of the engine.

Just what I know from some of the mechanics I deal with.

The benefit is more horsepower though. It is a give and take thing...

Hope this helped.

Another question is why go through that "trouble" when the bike totally rips with the 12:1 version of the piston! Can not say enough good things about this product!:applause:

Im not too sure what it is for the kawi 450, but when i had my 04 yz250f, i had what if i remember correctly, to be a +.75 higher compression piston from Wiseco.:applause: I never ran race fuel, and never had any pinging, but did have a backfire, solved mostly by rejetting because i ported and polished the motor, as well as hotcams. After the motor was back together and jetted, there was still a slight detonation, but never got the opportunity to run race fuel to see if it would go away. A friend of mine uses a wiseco high comp piston and mixes 50/50 with 93 pump gas and race fuel and has no problems. I think that if you do get pinging or detonation, you would be fine with just the 50/50 mix.

Oh, not to make anything confusing, you dont need any other mods that i know of for the piston, just possibly a higher octane fuel.

that bike is already cranking out 50 horse: if you want good pistons try CP. If you want serious power get Crower's sportsmans kit