What kind of oil does everone use?

I have been useing Amsoil oil sence i bought my rmz250. But it being at 9$ a quart its just to much. I was at wal mart looking at oil but could decided wat to use. What is everone else using that is not so much money and that is still good oil.

just make sure u don't pick up car oil...i use maxima oil's...since i have just broken in my new bike...i switched to a full synthetic

i stay away from car oils even if its the right oil i need (i.e. 10 w 40)....

but i was taught that some car oils dnt have the similiar chemical properties needed in a bike with a wet/mesh transmission...i usually run wat i see and hear in MX mags, forums, and mechanics...

Car oils are perfectly acceptable to use in a bike.I use a semi synth and have done for years.

ill hace to disagree with you on this one ....car oil does not have the anti shear properties of a motorcycle specific oil ...bikes that use the same oil for engine and transmission should stay with motorcycle oil there is a reason that they have a different sae...classification..not to mention the molybendunum disulfide that is added to car oils to help with cold starts has been known to make motorcycle clutches slip......also car oil is not desigend to take the load of 13,0000 rpm most cars have a practical redline of 7,000 rpm or less...also the way i see it youve spent 6 thousand on a bike what is $5-10 quart of oil to help keep it alive longer?i would think you would want to put the best stuff available in it.......ill get u guys the website where we send our used oin in for analyisis u send in 1 ounce of oil ....for 15 bucks these guys will telll what material transfer occured in your motor and when it gets bad they can tell approx ho long u have left on the engine bearings etc before its time for a rebuild....we use them for our road race cars and our 1000plus hp outlaw 10.5 turbo cars ...and they are always dead on....

If i left the oil in for a reasonable time i would worry about the quality of the oil, however i drain mine after 1.5 hours, i dont beleive the semi syth(should have stated i dont use the cheapest car oils) i use will break down that fast,if we have gone to the point of breaking through the protective film of the oil somethign else has gone wrong(running too hot etc) yes the revs are higher but i dont see that as a reason for a car oil to fail, i ran a 05 rmz 250 (and all my 4 strokes) on the same 50 hours of going on or near the limiter and its valves were just out of spec.

There is a link on dirtrider.net showing how some car oils are actually better specced than many top line bike oils, i truely beleive most oil is marketing bs.Some top bike oils had actually less(than car oil) of those so called protective additives(zinc was mentioned i think) that the bike oils are meant to have more of.

1000s of people use car oils in the new 4 strokes and i have not seen one case of a bike blowing poven to be due to a car oil.

I have to say dont believe the hype of the companies that want to charge 100% more for a few additives they say they add.Did you beleive Clinton LOL?

ill hace to disagree with you on this one ....car oil does not have the anti shear properties of a motorcycle specific oil ...bikes that use the same oil for engine and transmission should stay with motorcycle oil there is a reason that they have a different sae...classification..not to mention the molybendunum disulfide that is added to car oils to help with cold starts has been known to make motorcycle clutches slip......also car oil is not desigend to take the load of 13,0000 rpm most cars have a practical redline of 7,000 rpm or less...also the way i see it youve spent 6 thousand on a bike what is $5-10 quart of oil to help keep it alive longer?i would think you would want to put the best stuff available in it.......ill get u guys the website where we send our used oin in for analyisis u send in 1 ounce of oil ....for 15 bucks these guys will telll what material transfer occured in your motor and when it gets bad they can tell approx ho long u have left on the engine bearings etc before its time for a rebuild....we use them for our road race cars and our 1000plus hp outlaw 10.5 turbo cars ...and they are always dead on....

Good info....i agree...i stay away from the car oil's....lack the chemical properties needed to suit a Mx BIKE

Good info....i agree...i stay away from the car oil's....lack the chemical properties needed to suit a Mx BIKE

sorry you are wrong, look at the thread i posted

that info is good but all it says is you can get your oil tested to see if its breaking down and at what point, it doesnt mean car oils break down faster or slower.

read this.

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=146867

Chevrolet uses 5w-30 oils in some of their manual transmissions. I don't think they would do this if standard oils could not stand up to gear meshing in a tranny. The thing to stay way from in oils for MCs are the "energy conserving" oils because they contain extra friction fighting compounds that may cause the clutch to slip.

I like to use sythetics for the extra heat protection for running Enduros and harescrambles. During enduros my bike gets run pretty much steady for 4.5 to 5 hours in temps up to 100 degrees, over that, I don't ride. : ) Did anybody see the "Last man standing" race? Same type of riding, not quite as extreme.