Help with choice of machine DS

Hello people, I have just found that site and it looks great btw.. So a big hello from me, this is my first post :applause:. I thought I would come here to maybe learn things and get help and advise on biking issues, as I know little about the 4 stroke machines of this type especially.

Now I am looking into getting a Dual Sports machine as the on off road nature really appeals to me. Although there are many to choose from and they are all great bikes I am sure, some greater than others and maybe more suitable for me as an individual though. I am after a bike with a switched ignition, electric start, the bike would be ideally a 400-450cc capacity four stroke. The bike has to look and feel good, quality is a concern as is the over all weight of the bike. It would have to have a reasonably good touring nature for this type of machine. Ideally it would have some prospects for tuning in the future. I am seeking a bike that is a good all rounder. Reliability is a key factor in my choice also. I live in the UK so it boils down to what is avaliable on this market too also what meets the MOT standards and is legal on road. I have been looking at the drz400, as it looks like the obvious choice. Although what else is out there that is comparable, I do not know.. I am open to all makes of bikes that could fit the bill... many thanks

He said it had to look good so I say look at the TE610 as well, just my biased opinion.:applause: Its sexy, and a good all around dual sport. You really cant go wrong with a DRZ though, they are not pretty but they are bullet proof and there is a ton of after market stuff for them.

From what I have read on site.. The drz is the one that has most appeal and could meet my needs best. This would be my first dual sports bike, I am a Suzuki fan myself I have the rm 125 02 tricked up.. I think the drz is a good looking machine, it looks more like motocross I think than some others. Like you tend to sit on the seat and not in it.. I am also now considering the klx 250 as this too is an option and one that I cant rule out. If I had the funds and the garage space I would get both.. The klx maybe better off road than the Suzuki in some instance because it maybe more maneuvarable on the trail, although it would be down on power to a great degree I think in comparison. Maybe If it could be tuned up a little to provide that little more oomph it would suite my needs.. I am not a big guy myself and maybe there drz could prove a bit of a handful at times If I were to opt for the Suzuki.. I recon its the choice between the 2. I am not sure on cruising speeds of both bikes or 0-60 times I think the drz does 0-60mph in something like 4.2 secs that's pretty quick I recon. Now I would consider the drz more of a mans machine in comparison. I dont mean to sound sexist, its just the Suzuki seems like it has some balls, but is the klx that weedy its self ?

The DRZ is a good choice but if you're looking for a factory DS that is more off road capable it will be difficult to beat the new KTM 450 or 525 EXC. They are essentially off road bikes with blinkers and a plate holder.

If you want a DualSport bike that's truly Dirt-Worthy... go for the KTM... then maybe the Husqvarna. I haven't ridden a Husky since they got taken-over by Italian ownership.

My KTM is light-years ahead of the DRZ400S I had as far as light-weight feel and dirt-worthyness.. not to mention way better power. And I had that DRZ-S re-sprung, T-4 (LOUD!!) pipe on it, AirBox mod, smog junk removed. And aftermarket lightweight headlight assy.

The KTM's suspension is just phenomenal. I can't sing enough praise about it, once it's been compentently re-sprung and re-valved for your weight and riding-style. Plush! Plush! Plush! You really don't notice how fast you're going until you're REALLY pushing it in a section of terrain faster than you should probably be going in that section.

The DRZ-S was just always a lot more work to manuever around because of the excess weight.

I have looked into the same market of bikes. I have found that pound for pound and dollar for dollar the husky TE610 is probably the best all around. The oil and cooling system are geared toward a true dual sport ie: road touring but has the looks and ability for a great dirt bike. The ktm's are great but they are dirt bikes designed for dirt with a short road trip only.A long ride would be comprimised. The dr is lacking 2 things, power and 6th gear.