Sign in to follow this  

KDX Gear Chatter Recommendations

My KDX220R runs and sounds great, with the exception of a chattering coming from the clutch area. When I pull the clutch in it goes away because the gears stop turning, but when I let the clutch go it starts all over again. I use Rotella T 15w40 in it and that helped a little more than the 10w40 thats recommended. I was wondering if anyone had a good idea or a quick fix for this problem:confused: . A lot of TT'ers say its normal :applause: , I just don't personally like the sound.

Did you buy the bike used?

I have this problem, it's with the basket. This is how it starts, the basket gets deep ridges cut into it and the clutch plates stay compressed and get burnt out. So you have to file the basket smooth again which crreates a little more clearance allowing them to rattle.

If you bought the bike used that could be the case, but if you bought the bike new and never did anything like to it then I have absolutely no idea.

I have read on another website - KDX Rider - that even new bikes, such as mine make more gear noise than other bikes.

The recommendation was to use a little more oil. Almost a liter as opposed to stock rec of .7. Many guys claim it makes it quiter and did not hurt the bike.

Yes I bought it used. That is a good point of the basket. That is exactly where it sounds like the problem is. Last year I fixed it up cosmetically, and this year I'm going to replace the clutch, and do some MORE PONIES mods.

Yes I've caught the virus called Modits.

I usually run with a full quart also. Never had a problem, and when I added the recommended it was pretty loud.

Thanks for the ideas.:applause:

Bought my KDX brand new, it rattled, and still does to this day, with hundreds of hours on the bike.

Back in 95/96 my dad bought a brand new KDX, it rattled as well.

It's a normal sound for this model. It has to do with the backlash in the primary gears. I filed the basket on my KX and it never rattled. Filed my old YZ125 and it didn't rattle either.