Sign in to follow this  

are the starting war stories true?

just wondering how these things were at firing up? i have been riding 2 strokes for years and was thinking about switching to a 4 banger and i race hare scrambles and was just curious about how these things fire back up if u stall it 2hrs into a race??

people have trouble starting four strokes when they are cold (it;s apparent that 4 strokes are hard to start)....to solve this u can either to rejet (pilot circuit)...or even better, turn the fuel screw out to richen the mixture durring cold starting...also people forget to properly fire up a cold bike.....this is wat i learned:

pull the choke out...turn the throttle about 3-4 times to prime the carb with the ap sqirt. Then kick the kick starter slowly a couple of times, not intending to start it up. Next kick the kick starter up to the point u feel theres resistence, this is the compression stroke that's giving u the resistence, i then move like 1 inch from this tension spot and then bring back the kick starter, the point of this is to try to get the piston at TDC as well as to get all 4 valves closed...Next i kick the kickstarter like i would on a 2 stroke and it fires up in 1-3 kicks.. (starting it cold)....proper way to fire up a cold bike

also it will vary, depending on if the bike is new and broken in...all new bikes are hard to start (duh)...

during hot situations...it's easy, use the hot start lever...to let fresh air to enter through the carb....people forget to periodically check the the hot start pluger...and forget to check if it pulls and seats properly...or forget to grease it....

i agree that a 2 stroke is easier to start...but it's how 4 strokes are....it is a given, when someone says it's hard to fire up a four stroke....but, it can be avoided, or atleat made easier if the bike is dialed in correctly or if u properly start a cold blooded bike....

id stick with a 2 stroke especially in ur situation...

hope this helps

• Like 1

just wondering how these things were at firing up? i have been riding 2 strokes for years and was thinking about switching to a 4 banger and i race hare scrambles and was just curious about how these things fire back up if u stall it 2hrs into a race??

mine starts first or second kick every time, its all about starting tecnique, at first it will be hard to start but once u get it dialed you should be fine,, i rode a 3 hour partnered endurance race at the local trac (it was partnered so you rode about 1.5 hours) and it started fine from start to finish

Starts first or second kick everytime, even if i eat it and it was lying on its side. Auto decomp is awesome i can start it with my hand.

haha i saw the video of u starting it up with your hand... the bike normally is an "war" for me to start when cold but when its hot i can fire it up with 1-2 kicks with the hot start pulled in

This question bugs me when someone starts horror stories and some one else beleaves it.Alot of the previous replies are correct.Run the 42 pilot be jetted right and richen the fuel screw.If the valves are in spec and not tight these things start just as easy as any 2 smoke.My sons 07 starts in 5 kicks cold and 1-2 kicks hot with very seldom using the hot start.

The thing about coming from a 2 smoke is guys over kick these 4 strokes.Let the auto decompression work in your favor nice easy all the way through strokes.If you look at the bottom of your kicker and your wearing a dent in it your over kicking this thing.Just my 2 cents.

My 05 crf 450 R is the easyest starting bike I have ever had hot or cold.

Remember that there are 2 automatic compression releases on 4 strokes,

1 at the top of the kick lever and the

2nd at the BOTTOM of the kick,

SO HOLD/KEEP THE KICK LEVEL ALL THE WAY DOWN FOR A HOT SECOND AND SHE WILL FIRE and ROAR and THROW ROCKS at those screaming 2 strokes.

Dont kick and immediatly raise your boot, hold er down a sec.

mine starts great ...when its cold i just pull the choke and prime it then give it a couple good crisp kicks and it fires right up...when its hot i just basically give my foot a little nudge all thru the kick and it starts right up i hardly ever use the hotstart..just when i'm tired and weak and not in a kickin mood