Sign in to follow this  

Hitchcock Suspension

Just dropped off my KX450F with Neil at Hitchcock suspension. I'm pretty pumped, its my first custom suspension experience. I had read about hitchcock suspension in one of the forums and then talked to Eddy at performance cycle and he had lots of good things to say about Neal. I love to support our local guys so it seemed like a no brainer. Any one else had there suspension done there, and what did you think about it??

I should be picking it up and riding next thursday so I'll let you know how it goes for me. Oh yeah, he's just doing a revalve, my stock springs were the right ones.

You won't be dissappointed. Neil's layed hands on all my rides.

Just dropped off my KX450F with Neil at Hitchcock suspension. I'm pretty pumped, its my first custom suspension experience. I had read about hitchcock suspension in one of the forums and then talked to Eddy at performance cycle and he had lots of good things to say about Neal. I love to support our local guys so it seemed like a no brainer. Any one else had there suspension done there, and what did you think about it??

I should be picking it up and riding next thursday so I'll let you know how it goes for me. Oh yeah, he's just doing a revalve, my stock springs were the right ones.

Neil's been working on mine for a couple of years and no complaint's. They are set up for the rocks but I have ridden the VDR Harescrambles and they work great there also. I highly recomend Neil.

Neil did a great job for me. I love how the bike rides now across the board. I'd request high quality seals on the forks though. I blew both of them out on my 3rd ride after getting a re-valve from Neil (with new seals too). I never asked Neil about it but I'm sure he would have hooked me up. I had extra seal kits on my work bench so I just changed them out myself.

Neil did a great job for me. I love how the bike rides now across the board. I'd request high quality seals on the forks though. I blew both of them out on my 3rd ride after getting a re-valve from Neil (with new seals too). I never asked Neil about it but I'm sure he would have hooked me up. I had extra seal kits on my work bench so I just changed them out myself.

Did you bleed the air out of your forks? Not trying to be a smarta**. I have been running the push button bleeders for a few years and haven't blown a fork seal since then. I bleed them often, do you think I will still have problems if I am bleeding the air from the forks alot?

I have used Neil for rebuilds but havn't used him for tuning.

To the guy that blew his seals out in 3 rides. I use to think I was blowing my seals out all the time. I was changing them 2-5 times a year. Then someone explained how to clean them. I have not replaced a seal since 2000 on any of my bikes (knock on wood) and I put a lot of hours on them between MX and off road.

Drop the dust seals, clean with contact cleaner, then with a business card held tight against the fork push the card up between the fork leg and seal. Drag the business card all the way around. Repeat a couple of times. Re-assemble.

Saved me lots of money and down time on the bike.

neil does great work, but i've known about 6 bikes that he did and the seals leaked almost right away, i don't if it's the parts he uses or what. he did the forks on my '02 and i'm very impressed with the outcome!!!

Did you bleed the air out of your forks? Not trying to be a smarta**. I have been running the push button bleeders for a few years and haven't blown a fork seal since then. I bleed them often, do you think I will still have problems if I am bleeding the air from the forks alot?

I'm a big fan of the air bleeders. I'm not sure if that was the issue here. I've changed my own seals for years and I've never blown new seals out this fast before. It could just be a freak one time thing - It wasn't a big deal to me and like I said, I'm sure Neil would have back me up if I'd taken them back. It just wasn't worth the drive down there since I had the parts ready to go.

I have used Neil for rebuilds but havn't used him for tuning.

To the guy that blew his seals out in 3 rides. I use to think I was blowing my seals out all the time. I was changing them 2-5 times a year. Then someone explained how to clean them. I have not replaced a seal since 2000 on any of my bikes (knock on wood) and I put a lot of hours on them between MX and off road.

Drop the dust seals, clean with contact cleaner, then with a business card held tight against the fork push the card up between the fork leg and seal. Drag the business card all the way around. Repeat a couple of times. Re-assemble.

Saved me lots of money and down time on the bike.

I bought a six pack of those seal saver things (basicly a $3 business card) and have been doing the same thing for a few years now with similar results. I hadn't done that at all on the forks Neil did for me so maybe that contributed to the problem. These seals just blew out without any slow leaks to warn me. Kinda seemed like a really cheap part or they were damaged during the install.

Neil set up my new DRZ just before the snow set in. All the DRZ has done since then is the ride home and a ride it to Eddie Sisneros's shop. Suspension seemed to be great, very plush.

Dang, now I hope my seals are gonna last.