Sign in to follow this  

1500 trucks

So, what's going to be the 1500 truck to buy in 2008? the new Sierra suspension is already impressive I would say. The new Tundra is hot. ford is coming up with a new model in 2008... what to buy?

Any details for next year?

I might be in the market for a 6 passenger and so far, the tundra intermediate cab is the best intermediate cab of all...

Well, as of now (2007), if you want the biggest, the most towing, most HP, most payload, most torque, largest ring gear ("this one is for C/Cowboy :applause: ) or largest brakes 13.9" in front, go with the Toyota Tundra. If you are looking for low cost, the Tundra isnt it. Its not overpriced at all, but its not "cheap" either. The new Silverados look real nice now. For a few years (2003-2006) IMHO, they were a little ugly looking, but seeing the 2007, I think they look good again!

I just read the latest issue of "Car and Driver" and they tested all of the big crew cabs. Chevy took 1st out of the five. I wouldn't buy one until they do away with the 1980's style 4 speed transmission IMHO. The other four had 5 and 6 speeds.

Well, as of now (2007), if you want the biggest, the most towing, most HP, most payload, most torque, largest ring gear ("this one is for C/Cowboy :applause: ) or largest brakes 13.9" in front, go with the Toyota Tundra. If you are looking for low cost, the Tundra isnt it. Its not overpriced at all, but its not "cheap" either. The new Silverados look real nice now. For a few years (2003-2006) IMHO, they were a little ugly looking, but seeing the 2007, I think they look good again!

:lol: sure if ya wanna pay 3/4 ton prices for a 1/2 ton truck, the tundra's the right truck for ya!

Btw, see the new car and driver to find out how well those huge brakes work.

Even with the biggest brakes on a half ton, the tundra's stopping distance was well behind the GM trucks. Bigger doesnt equal better... but it sure looks good on a commercial I guess :lol:

I just read the latest issue of "Car and Driver" and they tested all of the big crew cabs. Chevy took 1st out of the five. I wouldn't buy one until they do away with the 1980's style 4 speed transmission IMHO. The other four had 5 and 6 speeds.

You'll get your wish next year. This year the 3/4 ton gassers got a 6 speed auto, the half tons get one in '08.

Even with less gears, the GM trucks get better gas mileage than any other half ton... that'll only improve next year with the 6 speed.

I've always been a Toyota truck guy - got an '05 Tacoma and it's a great truck, but I'm thinking bout adding a full size truck to the fleet this year. I was thinking new Tundra but that new Sierra looks pretty dang sweet. With a 2 or 3 inch lift and some bigger meats it would look insane. My dad's always had good luck with GM trucks so I may go with the new Sierra.

If the only thing I don't like about the new sierra is its extended cab. I want them to come up with an extended cab that can accept 6 passengers for real. At the moment, it's a 4+2 at the most and the ones sitting behind are sit straight as a military under review... The tundra extended cab is even more comfortable than a camry even when seated at the back.

The suspension of the Sierra is at the moment the best by far I would say...

I don't need much power. Just a place to seat the kids all safe and to haul the toys with ease. + I'm probably going to keep this truck for a long time so it better be reliable as hell.

On the safety matter, those tundra come with 6 real seat belt and head support... others have the hip belts only and poor comfort when you seat in the middle...

I liked the GM transmission although it was a 4 speed... felt real smooth. I just can't wait to try the 6 speed.

Yeah, I reckon they're both damn good trucks - it boils down to what looks the best to ya.

For 08 -

Toyota 5.7

Chevy 6.0

Dodge 5.7

Fords are just underbuilt, underpowered and the modular motors are not reliable.

Just keep in mind with any half ton truck, add 2 bikes and they will squat. So look into a set of airbags for the truck.

Mine doesn't squat, and it has stock suspension.

Toyota tech guy---do you have the brochure for the new tundras memorized yet?:applause:

Just keep in mind with any half ton truck, add 2 bikes and they will squat. So look into a set of airbags for the truck.

My half-ton sits level with 3 bikes in the back.:applause:

DRZ 400E (300 pig) TTR125L (185 lbs) and an XR 80 (?)

My half-ton sits level with 3 bikes in the back.:applause:

DRZ 400E (300 pig) TTR125L (185 lbs) and an XR 80 (?)

hell Ive hauled 2 full size bikes (one a heavy dual sport) in my wifes S-10 and it wasnt anywhere near squated.

It does have the "camper special" package that gives it a 1000lb payload capacity but its also nearly 20 years old with 237,000 miles on it.

Someone was saying (might have been ChickenHauler) that although the Tundra can tow 10,000#, you will more than likely run out of tongue weight capacity before you get to 10,000# trailer weight.

Someone was saying (might have been ChickenHauler) that although the Tundra can tow 10,000#, you will more than likely run out of tongue weight capacity before you get to 10,000# trailer weight.

I'd guess 10,000 lb trailer, it would have a 1000 lb tounge rating. The springfs are progressive. The leafs are designed to flex easily in the normal range where its at rest, no payload. Then as it squats, the extra leafs are designed to help. This give you good payload yet, a decent ride unloaded. It will squat a little, but not much. You may notice it with a tape measure, otherwise, you wouldnt see it.

silverado/sierra will continue to be the best truck for the money, just like they always have been. :applause:

Not true. The best truck is from whomever is willing to throw the most money on the hood to take it away. Currently that is Dodge, especially on diesels.

It may well be Ford shortly. After Dodge and Ford come out with whatever is their latest and greatest it will probably be GM. It's amazing the amount of loyalty displayed for farm and construction vehicles. :lol:

Toyota is probably going to learn a nasty lesson bringing out a new truck in a changed environment of high fuel prices and the changing perception of the desirability of owning ill handling, rough riding, inefficient, high maintenance vehicles.

I'd guess 10,000 lb trailer, it would have a 1000 lb tounge rating. The springfs are progressive. The leafs are designed to flex easily in the normal range where its at rest, no payload. Then as it squats, the extra leafs are designed to help. This give you good payload yet, a decent ride unloaded. It will squat a little, but not much. You may notice it with a tape measure, otherwise, you wouldnt see it.
and doesnt it have a tongue capacity of around 750#?

Here is the one question I have for 'Yota-what is the tongue rating of the new Tundra???:applause:

Toyota seems ashamed to put it on their website.:lol:

I have looked high and low, and cannot find it anywhere-it should be rated for at least 1000 lbs, and 1000 lb tongue weight on a half ton, and you run out of carrying capacity on the truck in a hurry.