Sign in to follow this  

Car oil in bike?

Is it ok to use car oil like castroil and car oil like that in a bike.

No, most car oils have friction modifiers that wouldn't work well with your clutch and cause a lot of slipping.

If you got an oil without friction modifiers and other stuff that needs to be kept out of motorcycle oil, then it would be fine. But why not buy motorcycle oil and be safe?

I have been using 10w40 synthetic for years............never had any problems, but maybe im just lucky:excuseme:

Search for and read up on the Shell oil. A lot of guys praise it and have been using it problem free for years.

I myself use Klotz premix and Maxima gear oil.

Is it ok to use car oil like castroil and car oil like that in a bike.

No, the problem is the wet clutch. Otherwise, it would work. The Zinc in car oil is the killer for bikes clutches. I trhink anything past SE rating has zinc. Stick with bike oil only. Unless you have a bike with a seperate gearbox, ie OCC choppers etc, then it would work for the engine.

If you're sick of spending too much for oil, do a search on cleaning/ re-useing your old oil.

Penzoil 10w30 in all my bikes. I'll probably use the fancy smancy stuff in my KTM though when its due for its first oil change. Never had a problem with the penzoil. I change it pretty often on my bikes though, about every 600 miles (cause they aint got no oil filter). This is on my 30 yr old XL 350's. No probs and thats running em down the highway at 60 mph and around 6500rpm.

My manual just says 10w30 oil... nothing about 'no this', 'no that', 'must contain this', 'must be motorcycle specific', 'this type is bad for wet clutch'... etc.

I use the same stuff I put in the truck- Castrol GTX.

Rotella Synthetic (Shell) Oil here :lol: ...both sides....no problems. It's missing the "energy conserving" logo...so no friction modifiers.

There's tons of threads debating this issue :applause:

didn't ktm used to reccomend this, their gp teams were sponsored by shell

If you're sick of spending too much for oil, do a search on cleaning/ re-useing your old oil.

that sounds like a great idea:bonk:

Just grab some Pennzoil outdoor motorcycle 10w40 when cooler and 20w50 when warmer, I use it and change it every 3-4 hours, zero problems... I would not use a car oil though, just make sure it is motorcycle specific, it doesn't have to be synthetic.

been running normal motor oil in my gearbox/clutch for years. not problems yet. my clutch works fine, and wears fine. just change the oil often and you'll be fine.

i do ride a 2stroke though, but the same oil goes in my dads WR

The Zinc in car oil is the killer for bikes clutches. I trhink anything past SE rating has zinc.

The zinc is actually a good thing because of its anti wear properties (cushions the metals). HEDO's like Rotella and Delo work so well in motorcycles because their zinc and phosphourus packages are so good. I've read of hotrodders starting to use rotella in their motors because its alot friendlier to the flat tappet solid lifter cams they're running than regular car oil is.

Its the molys that they use to replace the zinc in car oils that makes the oil "energy conserving" that you want to avoid. Apparently zinc is bad for the catalytic converters in gas engines and thats why you shouldn't run oils high in zinc *however* I haven't read any reports that shows conclusive evidence that the zinc in oils like rotella is significant enough to cause harm to the emission controls of modern vehicles.

Stick with bike oil only. Unless you have a bike with a seperate gearbox' date=' ie OCC choppers etc, then it would work for the engine.[/quote']

Thats the safe bet, but there are countless people on here that have had luck with the deisel oils.

For the kid that started this thread, any car oil that has "energy conserving" in the starburst label on the back of the bottle is no bueno for motorcycles. Thats usually oils that are 10w-30 and lighter. A 10w-40 or a 15w-50 will be alright in a bike...you just may want to change it more frequently.