Sign in to follow this  

How do i stiffen up Forks?

Was wondering how much it would cost and if a redneck wrencher like me could attempt to stiffen the forks on my xr250?

Or if anyone has had it done how much $$$$ was it and was it worth it?

You can buy the proper springs for just over a hundred bucks. The other option is to preload your springs with a spacer, and add heavier fork oil.

Either option is pretty easy to do, especially if you have a service manual.

Was wondering how much it would cost and if a redneck wrencher like me could attempt to stiffen the forks on my xr250?

Or if anyone has had it done how much $$$$ was it and was it worth it?

As sbabs said the correct way to do the job would be to buy the correct springs for your weight, but given you are a redneck wrencher the other way would be to add some fork oil and make some preload spacers out of PVC. If you search this forum you will find all the details.

Two ways to do it cheap. 1. Cut a spacer from schedule 40 PVC and install it between the fork cap and the spring, start out with 3/4" - 1". This compresses the spring and increases resistance. 2. You can stiffen the spring by shortening it, cut off a piece and replace the cut off piece with an equal length of PVC. The shorter the spring, the stiffer it is. Cut off a small amount to start with, an inch or so.

Be careful not to get too carried away with the PVC, if you have like 2 inches in there and you bottom out, you are going to be causing some serious damage, because the forks will be bottoming onto the pvc, and not what it's supposed too.

The best way to do it is buy stiffer springs. Easy job from what I've seen in the manual.

Just a thought.

Adding spacers just bumps up the pre-load. It's like bumping the preload on the rear shock. A wimpy spring is a wimpy spring.

Springs hold up the bike.

Valving controls the motion through the stroke.

You may want to stiffen both or only the springs.

New springs are pretty simple to replace. I think I bought new Eibach springs for my XR400 for around $75. Also, expect to replace the fork fluid at the same time.

Thank you guys for the info, very much appreciated! I think i'm just going to go buy some stiffer springs. I thought they would be more money but they don't sound like the are that expensive.:applause:

Ya... but that's not being a true red neck mechanic. A couple of big block Chevy head valve springs instead of the pvc works better...not as good as the right weight springs, but better.

I guess it depends on how much you value the red neck title.:applause:

I changed my springs to .51 kg/mm, and put in 15W fork oil. Made a nice difference. If I turn my compression all the way hard, it's like a rock, all the way soft, it's mushy, right about in the middle feels like buddah. I'll have to try some whooped out trails when the snow is gone and get it dialed in good, but it feels like it's gonna be real nice now.

just curious, don't have a manual, how much fork oil?? i'm going the valve spring route.. :applause: i have a bit more panache` so they're coming out of a Range Rover V8.. LOL