Sign in to follow this  

Only one piston ring has....

a marking on it. These are genuin Yam. rings. Is this normal and if that is the case which spot gets the ring with the mark? This is for a 99, TTR250. Everything is ready to go back together.

not sure on your specific bike, but if you look at the ends, the angled one usually goes on top and the stepped one goes in the middle. then of course theres the oil wiper ring(s).

Mine had a tiny "T" on it. (wiseco) I'd try calling the dealer if you want be positive.

Thanks, I'm going to make a call today, want to get it back together this weekend

No luck from the dealer. ONe ring is very square on the ends and the other is beveled. Does the beveld one go on top and the square second??? Any help will get me up and riding.

I believe the top ring is the normal ring, the beveled ring is the middle ring (the bevel facing UP), and the oil ring. I can't clarify for your exact bike, but the 1 thumper dirt bike, and the 3 go cart motors I have done, they all went together that way.

Okay, got some info from an 11year Yamaha mechanic. He said the beveled ring goes on top to deal with the expanding gasses and the straight edge ring is second to catch the blow-by. The straight edge ring is teh one with the markings. Sounds good to me. I'm putt'n her back together like that unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Thanks

Got everything back together, started right up. Went for a ride today, took it easy, half throttle,for a while, then cranked 'er up. Everything runs great. Now I'll change the oil and hit the trails this weekend. :applause: