Sign in to follow this  

85yz 2002 Do i need to change clutch???

I just bought my gf a yz85 and she has a hard time engaging it into first. I tried to get on it and also have to rev the motor pretty high to engage in first. Is this the way these small bikes run because of my weight (165) or does the clutch need to be replaced? I already adjusted the lever but never changed or checked a clutch before. Could someone take me step by step for what to look for and change? Thanks a bunch guys.

Start by changing the tranny oil. I use Honda HP tranny oil or would use belray gear saver. I would stay away from motor oil. A lot of people use it but I prefer a 2 stroke tranny oil.

I have used each of them since 1991 and have never lost a clutch

Adjust your clutch so there is about 1/8 of an inch inbetween the tip of your clutch lever and the perch

If it is slipping you will feel it rev up but not go any faster

Clutches are very easy to work on. Get a manual and dont be afraid to look at the plates. Drain oil, remove side cover. Release cable tension and remove the pressure plate with a 10mm socket. There should be somewhere near 5 bolts.

A nasty cable can also cause all sorts of difficulty.

Look for broken, discolored or warped pieces.

I have had aftermarket clutches act exactly as your describing. OEM plates are always a safe bet.