Sign in to follow this  

ok guys, 144 or makeover?

well, right now i have a choice of getting the athena 144 for my yz? i have an 05, and have only had it since last july, but have put a good 140 hours on it easily. what am i going to notice if i get the 144 kit. throttle response, moer torque, quicker acceleration?

if i dont get thast im buying a black tank, hurricne kit, new plastics, fastaway footpegs, new pt evo's, and a boyesen rad valve?

144 it is my vote. However, I'm not the best person to comment on this since I haven't ridden one to really know the difference. I have an '05 YZ250 now, but just before this bike I had an '03 YZ250F that had the Gorr 262 kit in it and I can say that it was a HUGE difference on that bike, all for the better.

i would just do a makeover. i have heard good and bad things on the 144 kits. but i do like the athena "Factory 125" kit. just my .02 cents

i really dont get why people do makeovers... if you trailride, your plastics will get stuffed in no time. if you race.. well, yellow stickers wont make you go any faster. theres a huge list of things i would do before even considering "blinging" my bike. suspension being #1. i haven't ridden a 144 but i'd hazard a guess and say its going to improve your bike a lot more than a sticker kit

i saw a anodized fuel cap in the store the other day claiming "bling" on the sticker... $140... i nearly spewed

the only thing i could think of is that people who buy that are compensating for something else. either that or they're too stupid to realise what they are doing

I dont see myself spending 140 for a a gascap, but I like doing makeovers. Its nice to ride a bike that does not look and feel like crap. It saves money in the long run. You dont feel the need to trade every year or two saving thousands.

I am not sure I would add the 144 kit right now without going through the lower end as well. I cannot help but wonder how many of the 144 kits found their way on to bikes with worn cranks....

Get your suspension done first.

That's the best mod to make to any bike.

I agree, suspension FIRST.

I am being a little bias because I has an 2005 yz144, but I would go with the 144 kit. The 2005+ yz125s have a very very good suspension. Yes, suspension tuners can make them better, but with a 125, I think you will be happier with more power. If it were a 250, I would say get the suspension done, but on a 125, go with more power.