Sign in to follow this  

xr400 or DR-z400

XR400 or DR-Z400 I live in Australia so both are road legal. Of the two which is best for a 70/30 on/of road combination. Main priorities are reliability and as i am 20 i like enough power to keep up with mates. Also got any other good bikes that might be suitable. It is my first road bike but have done some off road riding before.

XR400 or DR-Z400 I live in Australia so both are road legal. Of the two which is best for a 70/30 on/of road combination. Main priorities are reliability and as i am 20 i like enough power to keep up with mates. Also got any other good bikes that might be suitable. It is my first road bike but have done some off road riding before.

They are both wonderful bikes. I had an XR400 and wish I never sold it. I hear Jimmy Lewis still has a 1998 XR400 that he bought new. Just a great contraption that will never die. I have a DRZ-E now but I still miss the XR.

IMO, the DRZ is "better" in some ways. It makes a bit more power, it revs a lot higher and it has a more refined suspension. Did you know that Suzuki didn't design the engine? Instead, they hired Yoshimura Research to design it. Maybe that's why it is capable of being taken to 475 cc and 58 hp and is still reliable. Our own Eddie Sisneros, the mod on the DRZ400 forum and the jetting forum, builds several DRZ 475s per week and I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with one.

Both are good bikes so weight the pros and cons. IE DRZ estart, more power, better suspenion. XR bullet proof, no rads to break or repair, more low end grunt for off road. I sold my xr and got a crf. I like the crf but I loved my xr. What about ktm??

DRZ will have better road manners, but it is heavy. Thought this hasn't stoppe dme from out running the CRF's in the desert:busted:

For your intended purposes, definately get the DRZ and especially the E if you can get it plated in Aus. It will have more power definately, better ergos/seating position and w/electric start you can add more to it such as GPS or a dvd player.

Kidding aside, the xr is a great old fashioned trail bike that is a super fun play bike for off road, but for a dualsport/street legal bike.....you want the DRZ.

They are both wonderful bikes. I had an XR400 and wish I never sold it. I hear Jimmy Lewis still has a 1998 XR400 that he bought new. Just a great contraption that will never die. I have a DRZ-E now but I still miss the XR.

IMO, the DRZ is "better" in some ways. It makes a bit more power, it revs a lot higher and it has a more refined suspension. Did you know that Suzuki didn't design the engine? Instead, they hired Yoshimura Research to design it. Maybe that's why it is capable of being taken to 475 cc and 58 hp and is still reliable. Our own Eddie Sisneros, the mod on the DRZ400 forum and the jetting forum, builds several DRZ 475s per week and I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with one.

They make 485 kits to.

I just sold my VTX and im looking for a ds.... and this is exactly my dilemma!!!! which of these two bikes to get... I'm in mass so i wont be riding desert or anything like that... but i will be doing a fair amount of street travel. Is the radiator really that susceptable to damage? in the woods, trails, pits, streets that I'll be riding this thing... which one is right for me???

I've had multiple dirt and street bikes before, but last season my friend got a wr400 and i rode that and fell in love with that size bike. Another friend recently got a drzSM and i've driven that a few times...oh man is that a ticket waiting to happen. So now here I am. five feet eight inches tall 220 lbs and trying to decide on a middle weight bike that can not only get me my 20 mile trip to work fairly often but also rip it in the woods.... I've read all the DRZ and XR threads and both have valid good points... as of now im leaning drz.... but for no major reason. Both of these bikes are known for their bulletproof immortal nature.... but is one really better?

so confused

thanks

I owned a 2000 DRZ400E and have to say the thing was a great bike. It never left me stranded, the thing really was bullet proof. I put over 8000 miles on it before I sold it and the guy I sold it to still rides the crap out of it. I never once had a radiator problem, yes it could happen but I really wouldnt worry about radiators being suseptable to damage. Everyone I know that owns an XR400 has had to rebuild thier top end so I dont understand why people think they are so indestructable (go ahead, flame away). Obviously my vote goes for the DRZ.:applause:

DRZ is a better bike all around

Maybe in some categories, but not "all around", it is harder to service, is water cooled (good or bad depending on your taste, and has harder to adjust valves, and nowhere near the build quality of the Honda.

I think it's just a matter of riding both. I have ridden a DR several times and own an XR. Everyone I know that owns either one loves them for basically the same reasons. Easy to work on, both seem to be bullet proof. I do think the DR rides better on the street, but I like the XR on the dirt. If you can ride both I'd do it then decide!!

, and nowhere near the build quality of the Honda.

....that's the biggest joke I've heard yet. The DRZ build quality is top notch....stop the friggin "Honda" build quality crap....it's old:naughty: . I rode red for over 10 years, the DRZ is top quality fit and finish.

....that's the biggest joke I've heard yet. The DRZ build quality is top notch....stop the friggin "Honda" build quality crap....it's old:naughty: . I rode red for over 10 years, the DRZ is top quality fit and finish.

:applause::eek: My thoughts exactly, I think the DRZ is much much better when it comes to quality build. I think the XR400 is a great bike but it really didnt change much in all the years it was produced, the DRZ400 is a much more tecnologicaly advanced trail bike, besides, Honda supports the Sierra Club!:lol:

Yeah the valves may take more time to adjust but in 8000 miles I adjusted mine once and that was only when I dropped in Hot Cams.

Wow, someone is sensitive. I like the suzuki DR bikes, just not the DRZs, and I rode a DRZ400 two weeks ago and was impressed with the power for a 400, but the build quality is not spectacular, not when compared to their other dualsports like the 650 and even my little 200 (which show much nicer welds/framework) I think they took a step back when they stopped making the 250/350. Those were excellent bikes and tended to last a very long time.

I do take back what I said about choosing the XR400 in terms of build quaulity, I think Honda has regressed quality wise on their air cooled models, the paint seems cheaper..etc.

I think the XR400 is a great bike but it really didnt change much in all the years it was produced, the DRZ400 is a much more tecnologicaly advanced trail bike, besides, Honda supports the Sierra Club!:bonk:

And the DRZ has???, it's been around since what, 1999, and essentially unchanged even today, 8 yrs later. About the only real concessions to technology it has over the XR400 is water cooling(personal preference) and DOHC.

One thing not yet metioned here, is cooling in traffic. It a battle on any dual sport conversion. If you get a DRZ - S model it has a cooling fan built in. However, sticking with the dirt models, you can rig up a fan on a DRZ as it is water cooled, on the XR your kinda screwed. If you seriously plan to use it 70% street get something that is designed for it.

Both bikes are great and have their benefits, but as a DRZ owner, my vote goes to it. Parts availability is huge, very reliable, water cooled, etc. And for the record, the build quality of honda and suzuki are both great and very comperable. They are the only two brands I will buy and I have always been satisfied with the quality.

Good Luck on your choice, its a hard one. :bonk:

knotwerk: i'm also 5'6", & found the drz tall at first. (i think the xr is pretty tall, also). I put on the suzuki gel seat & tweaked the suspension for my weight. I still can only touch one foot at a time, but have gotten used to it, & love the bike (an 06 E). No problems with cooling here in the Az desert.. it will get hot, but it seems to not get too hot. ..no fan on the 'e'. The power is great, it is a good balance of weight for combined road & off road. The e start is great.. good luck on your decision.. you probably wouldn't go wrong with either.

scotty:cool: