Sign in to follow this  

Sell my 450x for a yz 250?

Someone, please talk me out of this. I keep thinking that I should ditch my bike for the much lighter 2 smoke. I am worried about the maintenance coming up for my x and the fact that I like to go off jumps. It seems that these bikes are pretty cheap used too. Will I really miss that Green Sticker?:applause:

they are two different beasts and you have to decide which one you like better for yourself

i came from a 01 cr250 to the X and i miss the lightness and flickability, but i love the power and how she does in the desert...i haven't taken the X to the track so i can't comment on that but i have done road jumps and what not with it...i am actually looking for a 250 again but not to replace the X, but to sit along side for those nice tight single tracks and the once in awhile track attack

Tim step away from the YZ and put your hands where we can see them.:applause::lol:

No sudden movements.

Someone, please talk me out of this. I keep thinking that I should ditch my bike for the much lighter 2 smoke. I am worried about the maintenance coming up for my x and the fact that I like to go off jumps. It seems that these bikes are pretty cheap used too. Will I really miss that Green Sticker?:applause:

No way I would give it up for a red stickered bike. Not only that, I would never want to kick a bike over every time I want to ride it. If you're looking to get more air, redo the suspension on it. It will be like night and day off of jumps.

You maybe worried about the maintenance comming u pfor your X but the smokers are a pile of maintencance too. I had to replace my piston, rings wristpin, bearings, gaskets (and more) a couple times a season in the 2-smoke. After getting the X, sure there's a lot of maintenance as far as oil and other things go. but it still all seems insignificant when compared to the work i had to do on my old bike. I kinda do miss the punch on the bottom end but the X isnt lacking in the mid to high, thats for sure. And for the bottom end, theres nothing a few mods can't change. So obviously, I say stick with the X, as old man said, redo suspension. It'll make a world of a difference. Alson, you can shed some pounds by taking out the battery (for as much a difference it'll make).

That's funny, Tim. A buddy and I were just talking about getting a bike for a "single track" project bike. Lighter weight, reed valved, flywheel weighted, low geared 2 stroke comes to mind. Another idea was to trick the 450X for single track duty meaning OEM or lower gearing, Rekluse. Still too heavy probably but I've seen guys ride the 450X like a trials bike no problem. My problem mainly is that I'm spoiled by the shear fun factor on the 450X and really don't want to ride anything else. I'm looking for a bike that will do WORCS and AMRA duty and be easier in the mountains later this year.

Get them both. You can buy a used YZ for cheap. I rode my buddies YZ last week at CC and it felt like a mountain bike compared to my 450. A mountain bike with a toggle switch power band, it was a blast to ride, very flickable and light. It really makes you pay attention on downhills, but on the single track it's very quick and controlable. I may have to buy one myself.

for sure, if you have the opportunity to get both, do so. Makes the situation so much easier