Sign in to follow this  

Old Baja Designs kit-repair or replace

I have a 95 XR600R with a BD kit from probably the same period. The bike is plated and I like riding the short distance out to the trails, but few BD items still work. I bought the bike in it's current condition, so I don't know it's electrical history. So, rather than list all that doesn't work, I'll just say that head and tail lights work. That's it. I'd like to get back to fully legal since I've got the plate. So, what do y'all think? Repair one connection/part at a time, or shell out for a new BD kit? I'm pretty mechanically savvy, but not so hot on electrics. Maybe it's time to learn...

Wahoogully

I would start by continuity checking all the wires and cleaning all the connections. Check the bulbs, and make sure all the grounds are good. There really isn't much else that can go wrong...other than the crap-tastic baja designs switch, but you can continuity check thru the switch fro the various circuits to see if the switch is working or not.

I'm basically a cheap bastard, so I would fix what I've got.

It's super easy to fix. The wiring diagram is on the Baja Designs website. If you have a head and tail light, the hard parts done. I'd bet the other stuff just got scrubbed off on routine trail riding. Take off the seat and follow the wires. I bet the blinker wires are close by, run new wires and hang some lights off the fenders. Fix that one.

You can buy individual parts to replace the non-working ones from www.procycle.us

The prices are reasonable and the components good quality.

I have a BD kit and if I had to do it over again I would buy individual pieces...and that is from scratch. You already have a kit, just with some non-working components. Don't waste the money on a full kit again. Fix it yourself. This was you will also become familiar with how it works and how to repair it should future problems arise.

I would start by continuity checking all the wires and cleaning all the connections. Check the bulbs, and make sure all the grounds are good. There really isn't much else that can go wrong...other than the crap-tastic baja designs switch, but you can continuity check thru the switch fro the various circuits to see if the switch is working or not.

Check and clean all components.

Tell us what not be working.

TT has tons of people that can help on the stuff not working.

If you have problems and would like some one on one help, you can bring it to my place in Thousand Oaks.

If you have an older kit the new right hand switch is worth upgrading to the new one. Better contacts and better switch/harness. Eliminates the big high beam light, instead there's a small led built into the switch.

129005big.jpg

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/mainframe2.aspx?content=

Item Code: 129005

Switch, Handlebar Control (DSK) w/hi beam ind

You will also need a new switch relay

Item Code 12-9010

Switch, Relay w/diode wired

Besides the actual turn signal themselves and the flasher that's the whole enchilada for switch and turn signals.

Sounds like the universal perspective is, "Dive in, ye chickensht!" I will indeed. Thanks for all the advice. I'll definitely start with checking wires and contacts, then probably replacing the switch assembly. My old switch is missing the Hi/low beam lever (as I noticed on other bikes when I was shopping for mine), so I'm guessing it's a common problem.

Hopefully I'll start poking into things this week. Have to take advantage of this nice weather for workin in the carport, eh? :applause: I'll post my novice electrical trials back here when I get into it. Thanks, again.

Wahoogully