Sign in to follow this  

URGENT QUESTION. 14t frn sprocket on 05 KX250

I just got a 14 tooth front sprocket for my 05 KX250. I put it on and now the aluminium L shaped thing wont fit back on. It bolts on behind the plastic grard covering the sprocket. Is it ok to ride without this or could i risk damaging the cases with the chain.

thanks

p.s its urgent cause im going a big ride tomorrow.

Grind it to fit and then buy a replacement unit made by moose after your ride.

Hammer 4, are you talking about the guard or a sprocket?

14 t sprocket....do they make 14 tooth guards..? :applause:

Sorry, I couldn't resist..

On my 02 i was able the barley fit the 14 tooth sprocket it fits in between the the chain you have to stick that chainguard on then try to get the bolts lined up.

12053-0033 is the part number for the 14T guard for a 2005 KX250, so yes, Hammer 4, they DO make 14T guards.

OP, I hope that helps.

See, I learn something new everyday...thanks..:applause:

See, I learn something new everyday...thanks..:applause:

Those alum. guards are simply to keep mud and dirt from packing up into the sprocket cavity. Just do a little grinding relief if you want to run a 1 tooth bigger sprocket. I have to completely remove the guard, and the cover on my KX500 when I gear it for the ice with a 15T front!

Those alum. guards are simply to keep mud and dirt from packing up into the sprocket cavity. Just do a little grinding relief if you want to run a 1 tooth bigger sprocket. I have to completely remove the guard, and the cover on my KX500 when I gear it for the ice with a 15T front!

werd.

I just came upon this exact problem, and thought about getting the oem part for a 14t sprocket, then thought "how much different can it really be", so i spent 94 seconds with the grinder to make the stock part fit with a 14t sprocket. I left it pretty tight, trusting the chain to (steel) to grind any more needed clearance out of the aluminum guard.

Those aluminum guards are case savers. If your chain was to break or de-rail, the guard will stop the chain from slapping / wadding up at the case inturn cracking or even blowing a hole in it. Don't ride without it.

Btw... I run a 14t on my 05 and all I did was file it down to clear. No problems at all.

Those aluminum guards are case savers. If your chain was to break or de-rail, the guard will stop the chain from slapping / wadding up at the case inturn cracking or even blowing a hole in it. Don't ride without it.

That aluminum piece is incredibly flimsy. I have a hard time believing it's going to do much good if the chain breaks. looks like it might help keep a rock from wedging in there hard enough to break the case tho, which is probably not an issue for ice racing.

I bought the 14t guard and just swap it on and off with the sprocket. I use a 12t for the gnarly tight woods and the 14t for the XC races. Seems like a hardened piece might provide a bit more protection. But I wonder if when a chain breaks they want it to bend and absorb some energy instead of transferring all of the energy to the case? Smarter people then me designed the thing.

I bought the 14t guard and just swap it on and off with the sprocket. I use a 12t for the gnarly tight woods and the 14t for the XC races. Seems like a hardened piece might provide a bit more protection. But I wonder if when a chain breaks they want it to bend and absorb some energy instead of transferring all of the energy to the case? Smarter people then me designed the thing.

I wondered about stuff like that too, then I looked at the guards on my ktm's (steel, 1-size fits all) and stopped worrying about it. I would have picked up the 14t guard if it were available locally, but I need the sprocket to race on sunday.

Topar racing also makes a billet guard which completely replaces the stock aluminum and plastic setup. I run a 15 tooth front on mine and put the topar guard. It is way thicker than that little stock aluminum piece. You can see it in the photo. I believe it was only like 35 bucks too! BTW it goes all the way up to the case so would block the chain better than the stocker and is billet all the way.

100_0023.jpg