Sign in to follow this  

Need an Engine or parts for a 2001 DRZ250

A friend bought an 01 DRZ250 as a "basket-case". Complete bike but the engine was torn down, and alotta stuff missing...

So far Needs: Stator & misc, clamps,nuts,etc..., Oil pump, Oil filter, Tappets all 4 of them, 2 valve spring sets, 2 retainers, 2 Exhaust valves & keeprs, stem seals,etc..., Magneto cover, Crankcase cover - over counter sprocket,

Wiring harness for the engine. Among these hard parts a bunch of misc hardware as well.

Would be cheaper and less time consuming to buy a complete engine, and then part out what he has if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.:applause:

Good luck as that's why those bikes have a low resale value because as you are finding/will find is that parts are difficult to find and expensive.

Check out a local motocycle junkyard even if it's not that 'local' as that may be your only option as I've never seen anything used for a drz250 of any year for sale even on ebay.

Maybe craigslist.

Bikebandit.com has the parts but it will cost you.

You might go the other way and sell the parts you do have. Seems like a lot of work and money to put that bike together. Humpty Dumpty!

Good Luck!

I am interested in the rims/hubs/spokes (wheels)

think about it. Your buddy could sell the frame and shocks and seat and so on.

I agree with the above replies to an extent.. Sure we all would like to have a crack at some used 250 parts as "yes" they are a bit scarce on e-bay. Engine parts on any newer designed bike would especially be a little rare but then they aren't usually needed. To part it out definately is a $$ option.

That said, it seems like you don't need very many expensive parts to put the bike together. Older DR 250/350 valves, stator, rotor and many other internal parts may match up with the 01 250DRZ, though it would take considerable research. Even at retail less discount prices you might not be too far $$ wise into repairing the bike. I would agree that a salvage yard would probably be the first place to look..especially a crashed bike with a decent motor. A good Suzuki parts person on a slow afternoon might be a good place to compare part numbers and prices especially if you plead poverty. You can do this on-line but probably not as well as an experienced parts guru. Some things such as sprockets are available after market as here on TT.

The 250DRZ is a great bike in spite of the parts support issues. In either direction, part out or fix, your friend is a winner unless he has a ton of $$ in it already. Give us a chance here on this site if you elect to part it. All the best in any case!!

Gary

Well, technically the bike hasn't been purchased yet. It is here behind my shop and my friend/client wants it, It's my landlords bike (of my shop). Landlord thought most parts were there? After digging through all the parts those are what's missing, so far... Bikebandit.com came up to about $900. Then re-assembly about $375.00 plus additional hardware that most likely will be needed, etc...These bikes sell around $2500 plus on Ebay, running obviously. This is a deal for someone who has the money to repair it. I personally don't have the time to re-assemble for him. Nor do I have the money spare to fix it then sell it for profit. I'm trying to complete my Gsxr 3.5 yr project!!:applause:

I'll try and grasp the financial posision of my buddy and see what he's gonna do? If in deed it's to be parted out, I'll post the stuff available, but hate to see it torn apart when it's actually a nice bike in really exceptional cosmetic condition.

Thanx for the advice.:lol:

6 or so month's ago I was desparate for a new hub for mine and finally found a used one on ebay. There was a huge list or DRZ parts for sale back then. I bid on a dozen or so parts as backup but only ended up with a coil, and the hub I needed.

My point, keep checking ebay.