Sign in to follow this  

Super Newb. Jet question

Hi,

Just reading over some of the Jetting threads. I was going to buy they DJ kit for the SM. I have never Jetted a carb before. I keep seeing referance to the Air and pilot jets. I was looking over the parts list on the DJ website. They include many Main Jets, but i do not see any air or pilot jets included. I am pretty sure i need the #25 pilot Jet? but am unsure of the Airjet i need if any. Also do i need to purchase the #25 PJ? are there any other sizes i sould also purchase incase? Even in the DJ instruction i see no referance to the PJ.

I plan on doing the 3x3 with a K&N.

Thanks

Confused

If you get the DJ kit you need to buy the pilot jet (25) and maybe some main jets too.

I used it a while ago but the JD kit for the SM is supposed to have everything.

i was under the impression that the dynojet kit was best for the Stock Minuki Carb? the JD Kit was used for the FCR Carb?

The dynojet has lots of main jets 6 i think.

i was under the impression that the dynojet kit was best for the Stock Minuki Carb? the JD Kit was used for the FCR Carb?

The dynojet has lots of main jets 6 i think.

There is a JD kit that is pretty new for the S and SM carb. The JD works fine, you just need to get the other jet(s).

You should also get the float bowl kit, and extended fuel screw. It makes the job much easier.

So, does the JD kit for the S/SM come with everything or not? Instructions etc? Or are the instructions basically the same as what you need to do using the DJ kit? Also what is the float bowl kit? And for the higher price is the JD better then the Dynojet kit?

Thanks.

-Skinny

I just used the FMF Kit (same as Dynojet) without replacing the pilot and everything is cool. 2006SM Full Yosh

If you get a DJ kit with for the SM you will need the SS Float Bowl kit, a 25 jilot jet, and I would also suggest getting a 160 main jet as cheap insurance.

The settings normally are:

155 main jet

25 pilot jet

2 - 2.5 on fuel screw

2nd clip on the DJ needle

The extended fuel screw and float bowl kits are:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/int_kientech_drzsfms.htm

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/int_tt_drzbltkt.htm

If I had it to do again I would get the JD kit since it has everything you need and instructions.

I just finished doing the 3x3 mod about 2 hours ago. I used the JD kit (p/n JDS005) and the extended fuel screw. Followed the instructions and had no problems. Took the bike out for a quick test ride and it ran great. Going to do some tweaking of the fuel screw tomorrow. No point tweaking it for cool night air since I dont ride at night anyway.:applause:

I just did mine 2 days ago, and it had a blue needle and a red needle (one for low altitude/cool temp and one for high altitude/high temp) as well as Several jets, I'd say at least 5 + the 25 pilot jet. As well as the float bowl kit that has hex screw heads instead of the Incredibly tight tiny philips the Minuki carb comes with. I have a DRZ400s and ordered the appropriate kit and just followed the instructions. Worked like a charm. Very noticable difference in power.