Sign in to follow this  

OffRoad How long for the AMA to stop smokers GNCC?

Since two strokes are still winning in GNCC and similar racing venues, how long will it take for the AMA to legislate new rules to equal the playing field with thumpers? Some possible areas might be lowering the CC advantage of the smokers down to about a 144, limit the fuel tank to .5 gallon, enforce sound limits to let's say ~ 75DB, take a tip from NASCAR and come up with an intake spacer limiter or maybe eliminate reeds. There are many things they can do, and it's a matter of time till they do. Of course I've always liked the idea of having smokers drag a cinder block behind it.

Craigus

I know what you mean.

Gncc is the last hope for the 2-stroke & you just know their gonna try to take it away. I think it's all about $

I am serious. They will find some way to make the four strokes more competetive with the lighter and quicker smokers. Instead of major $$ to lighten the thumpers it's much easier to hamper the smokers. They've already set a precident (spelling) in MX and SX, so it's only natural for them to get into this type of racing. It's even more important with these venues going mainstream on TV like Last Man standing and Endurocross for the " Standard" which is four strokes to be shown winning races. Call me crazy, but that's what the AMA does. Look how they've given the Harleys and Buels a HUGE CC advantage in Pro Stock Drag Racing and surprise!!! the twins are dominating. PS: I'm on the way out the door to go riding, then I'm seeing my gal, going to see "The 300" and watching the Daytona SX. Life is great.

Craigus

You may be right but I think its going to go the other way. I was talking to several high ups from KTM and they where saying that since 450's have become so popular the number of novice racers has dropped drasticaly, because now you can jump anything with no skill, and the bikes are too expensive to keep running. So many, MANY AMA district reps have been trying to get the 450's to be decreased to 350's so that 250 2-smokes are competative again. I dont know how true any of this is but I hope it is. Also I dont think the AMA will ban 2-strokes from closed cource competetion. The reason that no one is racing them in MX/SX is that they simply are not competetive with the 250F/450F's not that the AMA said they can;t be raced.

There are a LOT of people thet are not happy with the AMA and I think if this happned you would see a revolt in a big way. Something like this would be grounds for someone else coming is with a series that would perallel the GNCC and doing well. I think?

IMO its the Japanese manufacturers (mostly Honda) who want to stop the smokers and do it indirectly through the AMA. The only reason it hasn't happened yet is because the two manufacturers that dominate GNCC's are Yamaha and KTM and they currently have the best 2 strokes. Have you ever seen the Factory Honda team at a GNCC? Scott Summers is a great guy and a GNCC legend, and Whibly is a good rider, but honda factory support is a joke.

The manufacturers are dieing to get their 4 stokes show cased in GNCC. Thats why there's now a XC2 Lites class. Last year there was even talk of doing away with the dead engine starts to get more 4 strokes competing.

I make a dig about Honda and then Whibley goes out and wins The General GNCC:bonk: . Edminston's second place puts 2 thumpers on the podium. If this continues the the AMA won't have to stop the smokers in the GNCC.

I think I've read here on TT that there will be advances in 2t's to make them more enviro friendly and make them appeal more. Maybe these advances will make the cost go up and be similar to a 4t thus appealing more to the mfg's (or just Honda I should say). Anyone who rides woods knows 2t's are the best. They won't go away, ktm won't let it happen (and they have become a powerful voice).

I don't have a problem with the current rules as I honestly think smokers are quicker through the tight stuff. It was predominantly smokers at the Endurocross. They still allow the 300 KTM to run as well along with big bore bikes like my 285 YZ. I just don't want them meddling with the status quo and doing what they seem to do which is screw things up.

Craigus

cryzrider, you need to remember thet the GNCCs are the property of Racer Productions and the only thing the AMA does is recognize the series as a championship. RP knows what the amatuers ride and they will NOT drive them away. No worries on our 2-strokes getting regulated to the sidelines like what has happened in MX.

I hate to bust in unanounced but with the 2-stroke worries and the AMA's ify rules about things, check out the WPSA races for the quads. Kawasaki just released their new 450 FI sport quad and they are not even racing in the AMA Pro Quad GNC series. That to me is a big smack in the face of the AMA since for 2007 (first year) the AMA recognizes Pro Quad MX Racing. The WPSA ( world powersport association(sp?) " I guess " is run by ESPN2. They have real TV coverage and they PAY for wins and good finishes. The way I take the AMA and their rules, they treat racing like you are actually making money while doing it and are strict. I don't doubt there are not as many new riders starting. When you read the rules its a little intimidating and a little on the bullshit side for the weekend warrior. To me its like trying to read an insurance policy. It has cought up with them in the MX quads. I don't think it will take long before it does everywhere. I know how the quad MX races are. I don't know a lot about the bike's but I'm sure its the same or worse. The only reason the AMA took real notice to the quad GNC's is because when the 450's came out the racers litterally doubled. It sucks that they are still looking for ways to rape the little guy.

the ONLY good thing about the ama is that you have someone to protest to that isn't involved directly with your local series.

other than that, they break their own rules all the time to fit their own agenda.

no better proof than the national enduro series this year.

the ama requires you to run a qualifier before you can be given a national.

yet, all of a sudden nepg steps in and without having ever run one, not only has a national, but has control of the series. riddle me that one batman!

I have rode both two stroke and four stroke bikes. I had a yz250 then went to a yz450f. After this switch my results improved in very little time. There is no way that I would ever ride another two stroke again. I am sure that everybody hates to see the two storke go, but they just cannot compete with four strokes.

I have rode both two stroke and four stroke bikes. I had a yz250 then went to a yz450f. After this switch my results improved in very little time. There is no way that I would ever ride another two stroke again. I am sure that everybody hates to see the two storke go, but they just cannot compete with four strokes.

Only with how the rules stand now. If they change to equalize the power dis-advantage bringing the cc's closer together or putting the 450 into the open class, I think the advantage will be back on racing the 2strk. Lighter weight, more or equal power, and easier to start, its a no brainer. I'm not being biased as I like both. People are going to race with what ever advantage they can get, thats just racing. Back to the original question, I believe they are voting on a few of these issues in a couple months that will effect the 08 season.

competetion. The reason that no one is racing them in MX/SX is that they simply are not competetive with the 250F/450F's not that the AMA said they can;t be raced.

the reason they're not competitive is that the 4-strokes have been given a huge advantage.

maybe they'll raise the weight limit for 2-strokes. it's already the only reason 2-strokes are as heavy as they are. the cinder block is a pretty good idea tho.

So what if you rode a Service Honda CR500AF? That way the cubic centimeters in more in the same dimensions.:lol:

The AMA rule of twice the ccs for 4 junks is just their way of making "IT" work.:eek:

Don't be fooled the AMA is working towards Pro only racing, just like cars. Can the average individual enter an Indy race or Smashcar?:applause:

It's all about money!

Not yours or mine!

The Pro Racing part is true but it filters down to everyone after a year. Read this. I know its not about engine types but its it an example. Amature's haven't had sound rules till this and will for now on.

http://www.atvriders.com/atvnews/atvamx2007newsoundlevelstandards.html

It sure does make you wonder about buying a new pipe. It says MX and SX but I'm sure it will be for everything.