Sign in to follow this  

Camelback vs Fanny pack or both??

Hey all, I am headed down to my first trip to Baja 500. (hope i finish) I normally ride with a camelback, which is ok, but see that a lot of desert racers use a fanny pack. A lot of times when my camelback is loaded up with tools, food, and water, it pulls on my roost deflector, and the straps cut into my neck, which gets raw after a long ride. I haven't really ridden with a fanny, what do you do for water, or do most still carry that with a camelback,and tools in fanny? Who's got their systems dialed???? Thanks!

I use both for long trail rides and a front and rear fender pack. That way I can carry everything with comfort. I used to carry more tools in my fanny pack but it was too heavy and uncomfortable. Now I spread things around.

Front fender pack has my 21" tube and co2 pump and quick steel and quick alluminum. Rear fender pack has tire irons and tools, spare nuts and bolts. Camelback has first-aid supplies, energy bars, survival gear (spaceblanket, cable saw, lighter, matches, parachute cord, etc.). My fanny pack carries tow strap, some tools, maps, duct tape wrapped around my screwdriver handle, safty wire, zip ties, and a couple of small towels.

Everything together weighs about 12-13 lbs or more. So I spead it out and it is much more enjoyable.

Good luck on your ride.

I use a camelback. The one I have is 70 oz. which isn't enough on a long ride. I'm getting ready to buy the camelback mule. It's 100 oz. and has more storage room. :applause:

Get both. For long rides, I put food/tools/$/drivers license/insurance card in the fanny pack and fluids/tire irons/air pump/spare tube and camera in the camelback mule.

i carry both but i only put soft stuff in the camel pack...i know it has places for tools but i can just imagine crashing and one of them impaling me

I use both for long trail rides and a front and rear fender pack. That way I can carry everything with comfort. I used to carry more tools in my fanny pack but it was too heavy and uncomfortable. Now I spread things around.

Front fender pack has my 21" tube and co2 pump and quick steel and quick alluminum. Rear fender pack has tire irons and tools, spare nuts and bolts. Camelback has first-aid supplies, energy bars, survival gear (spaceblanket, cable saw, lighter, matches, parachute cord, etc.). My fanny pack carries tow strap, some tools, maps, duct tape wrapped around my screwdriver handle, safty wire, zip ties, and a couple of small towels.

Everything together weighs about 12-13 lbs or more. So I spead it out and it is much more enjoyable.

Good luck on your ride.

I agree spread things out , for instants I zipty my tire irons to my sub-frame. I use a fanny pack and my camelback (mule) to carry tools. My spare tube is on my front fender. What ever you can do to lessen the weight in one area.

I usually wear a fly racing fanny pack, with most necessary tools for repairs.

And I use a a 30 OZ platypus water pack that fits in my fanny pack. Most

of my rides are between 35 to 50 mile loops, I used to use a camelback, but

found the fanny pack gave more of a neutral balance when riding.

Moose fanny pack with with the water bottle that hooks to the side

of the belt. I thought at first the bottle would get in the way but

I dont even know its there.

Thanks for the replies. I use the Mule too. 100oz of water is pretty key for me. I have an advanced cooling system-aka..I sweat a lot-so lots of water is important. I'll try a fanny on my next trip out and see how it goes.

Thanks,

I like to spread everything out. MSR Race Pack fitted with a larger Platypus, bladder, plus air pump and 21" inner tube ziptied to the back of my armor. MSR Tool pouch ziptied to the front of my armor for balance. Fanny pack for extra gloves, hat, windbreaker, food, first aid, etc. Tire irons hose clamped inside KTM air box.

Try wearing your chest protector over your camel pak.I thought this was weird too when I saw some of our club guys doing it, but then I tried it and I wont change back.Good luck in the race.I want to do it some day!